FORUMS: list search recent posts

Bad time to upgrade

COW Forums : Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rick Sebeck
Bad time to upgrade
on Sep 20, 2013 at 7:19:39 pm

So I'm thinking of doing some upgrades. Graphic cards, SSDs, PCIe SSDs, etc. And as I'm about to beef up all 4 of my MacPros (ranging from 2010 8 cores to most recent 12 cores) I cant help but notice I am adding all the things that will be standard on the new MacPros coming out (soon?)

So starts the debate... do you upgrade now or wait.

As for specifics... I am thinking of getting...

NVIDIA Quadro K5000 graphics gards for all machines

480GB Mercury EXTREME Pro 6G SSD for boot drives

480GB OWC Mercury Accelsior E2 PCI Express as media scratch drive / AE cache (poor man's FusioniO card!)

We currently have eSata direct connected 4 bay RAID 5 enclosures (which will still be the weak part of our chain - but the Accelsior will replace the Sonnet E4Ps and should be a little faster)

Really looking to add better faster AE cache and smooth out playback of HD footage (in Resolve of Scratch) with better graphics cards

Bob - come on - hit me!

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Bad time to upgrade
on Sep 21, 2013 at 12:32:04 am

why do so many people think that the current Mac Pro is going in the garbage can ? What makes people assume that all the Adobe CC software will work perfectly with the new Mac Pro, Mavericks, and the AMD Open CL card, instead of NVidia. Why does everyone think that the day of release of the new Mac Pro, AJA, Blackmagic, Matrox, ATTO, Areca, G-Tech, etc. will all announce "hey everyone, here is our new Thunderbolt 2 products". Are you dreaming ? It's not going to happen.

I think that upgrading your current investment is a VERY WISE IDEA.
I think that if your business is based on Adobe CC, Autodesk Smoke, AVID Media Composer (and dare I say it FCP 7) that your CURRENT HARDWARE and upgrading it is a VERY WISE investment.
And if in 2 years, (2016) all these companies have caught up (which I am sure that they will) - you will have made A LOT OF MONEY in the mean time.

It troubles me that so many people think that these products are decorations for their living room. I dont' give a flying f#$% about
the hobbyist. A professional needs his gear now, and if it costs XXX, then he is going to buy it because he needs to stay in business and MAKE A LOT OF MONEY. And in 2 years time, you will have plenty of money to buy the new stuff. If you spend $3000 per computer to upgrade it, and make lots of money, and don't generate $30,000 per computer in a 2 year period, then please GET THE HELL OFF OF THIS FORUM AND ALL OF THESE FORUMS, as (unless I am thrown off creative Cow) this is a forum for professionals that make their living doing this, and for students that want to get into the business, and if you (not you personally, but other readers) like having fun with expensive equipment, and bought a Mac Pro with a K5000 card, so they can make videos of their bowling league for fun, well I have no interest in appealing to this audience.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
maxavid@cfl.rr.com

Return to posts index

Rick Sebeck
on Sep 21, 2013 at 12:48:29 am

Thanks Bob! That's the response I was hoping for. You are right, I know I will make my money back on these upgrades before I even write them off on my taxes next April. It's just no one wants to be the guy who invests in technology that is obsolete in two weeks. But I agree - it will take time for the "latest and greatest" to be stable enough to actually make all the money!

While I have your attention.... we still aren't ready (or really have a need) for a SAN - but I do think I am pushing the limit of the Mercury Pro enclosures. We've been filling them with 3 TB drives - getting 9 TB RAID 5. We are starting to go beyond ProRes into longer form uncompressed projects and dare I say 2k. But right now - its a pain to not be able to color correct with any real time playback. Hence the K5000 cards. SO my question.... since i'll be sticking to eSata - whats the next bump up from our 4 bay enclosures. Are there 8 bay enclosures that are just as flexible as the OWC Mercury Pro. I'm sure a bunch of people (including yourself) are going to shudder when I say that our current workflow is having raid sets for each client, and we pop the drives out and put them in a file cabinet between projects. The OWC inclosure is great because you don't need sleds for the drives - you just slide the bare drives in power the enclosure up and off to work. Plus all 4 edit bays have them so you can take the project from room to room. Do we have drive failures.... occasionally - but we slide in a new drive and rebuild the RAID. Have we lost entire RAID set - not yet (knock on wood) but I do want to find another redundant backup system (DLT, drobo, ?) But I think my first priority is speed. I've used Fusion enclosures with 5 discs in RAID 0 to do uncompressed HD - but again - looking for something with some redundancy. Obviosly the PCIe SSD will be super fast - but I see that as the AE cache and occasional render scratch for short form commercial spots. Any recommendations? And que the retailers!

Editor

Return to posts index

Rick Sebeck
on Sep 21, 2013 at 12:57:28 am

Actually on second thought - save your breath Bob... I just read some of your other posts about this very topic. You've got better things to do than to regurgitate your typical rant!

Editor

Return to posts index

Chris Murphy
on Sep 21, 2013 at 5:04:27 pm

I don't have anything significant to add to what Bob said, but agree. A major reason for buying a MacPro is the ability to upgrade it. Take advantage of that. The things you're upgrading are the major bottleneck in any system. The thing you're not upgrading, the core system itself, makes it familiar and thus easier to expand further, support, and troubleshoot should the need arise. If you're so busy that it's actually the older Xeons slowing you down, then it should be no problem money wise to get a new MacPro when the time comes.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]