FORUMS: list search recent posts

Setting up my hard drives? What goes where?

COW Forums : Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Alexander
Setting up my hard drives? What goes where?
on Nov 12, 2016 at 9:17:16 pm

I'm trying to setup my new computer and it's hard drives to be as good as they can for my use. It's an iMac i7 with 16GB RAM and 4GB graphics card (AMD Radeon M395x). My hard drives are:
- internal 500GB flash drive
- External 500GB SSD
- External 4TB Seagate USB 3.0/Thunderbolt
- External 2TB Seagate USB 3.0/Thunderbolt
- I also have an internal 500GB SATA drive from my old iMac which I could take out if you think that would be useful but I'm not including it
The computer will be used primarily for Premiere Pro and After Effects. I'll also want to have my music, pictures, and word documents for school on it. I was doing research and it seemed like this setup might be good but I wanted people's advice and opinions.
Internal 500GB SSD: holds the OS, and my Programs
External 500GB SSD: holds the media cache and preview files for Premiere and AE which I'd clear out once I finish each project
External 4TB: keep my footage, audio, AE compositions, and pictures for the projects as well as the project file themselves
External 2TB: store the finished exported videos and any other miscellaneous pictures, documents, music for school and just to have.
I don't any money to spend on more gear right now so I have to make this work. Searching the internet has left me overwhelmed and confused.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Setting up my hard drives? What goes where?
on Nov 13, 2016 at 12:20:32 am

for a kid in school, it appears that you know more than most of the professional users on these forums.
Everything you have selected is correct.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Kevin Alexander
on Nov 13, 2016 at 6:58:08 am

Okay that'd be great then thanks! I've done lots of researching. I have however seen a lot of posts saying that you should keep the media you're using for a project on a SSD instead of an HDD. I was thinking I could do that by keeping the media for a project I'm working with on the SSD as well as the Media caches and previews, but then once I'm finished with the video, move the raw footage off of the SSD to an HDD and clear the cache. Thoughts?

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Nov 13, 2016 at 4:37:06 pm

I have never ever said to keep your media on SSD drives. SSD drives are very small - most people have a lot more than 1TB of media. Almost everyone I work for has multi drive SATA RAID arrays, be it miniSAS, eSATA or Thunderbolt connection, and this is where everyone keeps their media. NOW, if you are rich, and can afford eight 2TB SSD drives in an 8 bay RAID chassis -well, that's another story - but I do not have one single client that does this. Everyone keeps their media on the SATA drives. The SSD is a wonderful place to set the Cache for your Adobe programs.
Whether you are professional or a student, the last thing you have time for is to constantly be migrating your data from your 500 gig SSD drive back and forth with your SATA drives.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Kevin Alexander
on Nov 13, 2016 at 4:47:18 pm

Awesome. Thanks so much for the write up. My last question I have since you've been helpful is that the external HDD's I have are USB 3.0 but have the option to use a thunderbolt adapter to connect. Would this make a big enough difference in read/write speed?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]