FORUMS: list search recent posts

NAS / DAS or SAN for Small Studio

COW Forums : Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Armando Jones
NAS / DAS or SAN for Small Studio
on Nov 7, 2016 at 10:40:51 pm

Hello all,

This question might come up a few times in different variations so please excuse that but here we go.
So i’m setting up a small production outfit, the main viewing / editing bays will be split across two different compounds, imagine two back to back houses.

My current setup utilises 2014 Mac Pros in both spaces and the only evolution planned will be along these lines, perhaps incorporating IMacs and such. We’ll be using Adobe Premiere + FCP and shooting projects in the 2k-4k res range (more of the former but likely some of the latter)

What i’m after is the best sub $5k setup that allows for an editor to move between the places, have access to a media library, assets, project files and such, which will allow for scratch usage and online editing with as little latency as possible. NAS w/ Gbit Ethernet, DAS, SAN (show me the money??) Thunderbolt vs USB 3 decisions decisions.. Not sure.

These are the immediate options i’m currently thinking about, I would very much appreciate some input or suggestions.

https://www.amazon.com/Drobo-Gen-Attached-Storage-DDR3A21/dp/B00JLR8IZ2

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1184474-REG/qnap_tvs_871t_i7_16g_us_...

We already have a Pegasus R2 running on a Raid 5 that will be used as a local drive.

Many thanks and wishing you inspired creativity.
x posted to NAS forum.

Return to posts index

Josh Phillippi
Re: NAS / DAS or SAN for Small Studio
on Nov 7, 2016 at 11:55:20 pm

Armando-

I would be happy to help you. There are a few solutions that can work for the workflow you are aiming for, however, I would need to know a little more information about the set up and configuration for your desired workflow. How many systems, System SPecs, etc. Is it possible you can give me a call and we can discuss further? Piston Media Group is a re-seller and systems integrator for audio / video software and hardware and represent over 100 different manufactures. We offer quite a few storage solutions to meet your specific needs and budget. We offer free consulting and design, so feel free to give us a call and we can help walk you thru your options and help to provide you with some pricing for your budget. QNAP is a good solutions among some other greats as well. We are happy to help in any way that we can.

Josh Phillippi
CEO/Founder
Piston Media Group
jp@pistonmediagroup.com
http://www.pistonmediagroup.com
Cell: (818) 318-8211
Office: (888) 829-7320

Return to posts index

Armando Jones
on Nov 8, 2016 at 12:10:35 pm

Thank you, i'll send something through.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Nov 8, 2016 at 1:26:13 pm

Hi Armando -
the Drobo does not offer a 10G solution, so it's too slow for your application.
The TVS-871T is excellent. But the $3000 QNAP you listed comes with no disk drives in it. You need 8 drives in there, so find a drive you like, multiply by eight and now you have the price of the basic system. It sounds like you only have 2 or 3 computers right now, so you can connect directly to the ports built into the QNAP, and in the future you can purchase a small Netgear 10G switch so you can add more clients. While the QNAP appears that it is a DAS (direct attached storage), this is connected thru Thunderbolt bridging or networking - it does not mount like a Thunderbolt drive, like the Pegasus does.

And with that said (because I am a huge fan of the QNAP) - QNAP only supports SMB3 right now. In the future release of QTS 4.3 from QNAP, this will ship with SMB4, which is required for FCP-X 10.3 SMB shared storage. So if you intend to write libraries from FCP-X to the QNAP, it's only going to happen with NFS network protocol for right now.

If you have zero money, you can use a Mac Mini as a server, but your Pegasus R2 2 drive system is useless for shared storage. If you had an R8, or G-Tech Studio XL with 8 drives, then you could consider this. Without 8 drives, and 10G connection to your "server" you will get crappy performance.

I only wish that Josh would state what his suggestions are here on this forum. There are plenty of wonderful solutions out there from Studio Network Solutions, Small Tree, Maxx Digital, AVID, Facilis, GB Labs, LumaForge, DDP, Editshare, QNAP, Synology, Apace, Netgear, etc. I wonder which one Josh suggests for your limited budget ?

bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]