FORUMS: list search recent posts

Documentary budget question

COW Forums : Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lucy Slavinsky
Documentary budget question
on Nov 6, 2016 at 10:46:42 pm

Hello all,
I am struggling with budget for my first documentary - 75 min feature, 90% archival film. How much stirage would I need and what would be approximate cost?
Thank you very much in advance,
Lucy

Return to posts index

Josh Phillippi
Re: Documentary budget question
on Nov 6, 2016 at 11:48:44 pm

Hello and Happy Sunday. The amount of storage you would need would depend on the resolution and codec of your current media, and how you will be working with and delivering it. For instance 1 hour of 1080 DVCPRO HD is about 60GB. Feel free to give me a call and we can discuss the specifics of you project and what some affordable storage options would be. I am happy to help in any way that I can.

Josh Phillippi
CEO/Founder
Piston Media Group
jp@pistonmediagroup.com
http://www.pistonmediagroup.com
Cell: (818) 318-8211
Office: (888) 829-7320

Return to posts index

Lucy Slavinsky
on Nov 7, 2016 at 3:25:37 am

Hi Josh,
Thank you very much for your response! The current media is mostly archival footage from 1989 to 2015. There are very few HD clips, the rest will be converted from tape or video. What would be the best time to call?
Best,
Lucy

Return to posts index

Josh Phillippi
on Nov 7, 2016 at 3:48:56 am

Lucy-

This shouldn't take up to much storage and a solution should be pretty in expensive. Feel free to call me any time, our office is open from 8amPST to 8pmPST. I would be happy to help in any way. Our main number is (888) 829-7320 and I am at ext.101

Josh

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Nov 7, 2016 at 4:42:04 pm

Hi Lucy -
download AJA Data Calc from http://www.aja.com

enter the compression codec you want to work in, and this will answer your question very quickly.
If you have more questions, just ask. No one can answer your question until you state -
how many tapes you have to digitize
and
what compression codec (ProRes 1080, etc.) that you intend to edit in. I don't care if it's all standard def NTSC media.
You need to say "we will edit this show in 720p DVCProHD, or 1080i ProRes, or something like that, and then you can have your exact answer. If you can't answer these questions, then ask your editor what he or she intends to edit with.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Lucy Slavinsky
on Nov 8, 2016 at 3:49:44 pm

Thank you, Bob. Great tool! The compression codec is ProRes 422 HQ, but it is hard to say how many tapes or video or other media I will have in the end. I would say about 100 hours of footage.
Best,
Lucy

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Nov 8, 2016 at 11:10:25 pm

are you up converting the SD footage to HD (because no one owns a TV or computer screen that looks at NTSC standard def video any more). So in AJA Data Calc, enter ProRes422, 1080i, 29.97, and see how much storage is required for one hour.

100 hours (100 tapes) is 7011 GB - so an 8TB array would work, but you should really get a 16 TB RAID array to be safe, and you will be fine.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Lucy Slavinsky
on Nov 8, 2016 at 11:59:23 pm

Thank you, Bob! Actually almost all of the footage is PAL (I am getting it from Europe). Will it make much difference in the terms of capacity?
Best,
Lucy

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Nov 9, 2016 at 6:50:06 pm

nope !

bob

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index