FORUMS: list search recent posts

Fast Location Storage and Backup

COW Forums : Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex James
Fast Location Storage and Backup
on Oct 19, 2016 at 3:43:38 pm

Hey There,

My company is wondering if theres a solution (or a better way) to manage our storage/data/rushes on location.

Currently we take:
1. Shooting Media (for the sake of this example lets say Red Mini Mags)
2. Mac Book Pro
3. 2 x Lacie (2tb HDD's)

Mostly at the end of the day (sometimes throughout) we dump our cards as so:
RED MINI MAG / CARD READER (via)> MAC BOOK PRO (to)> LACIE 2 TB (TWICE)

To clarify the twice meaning we put a copy the rushes on two separate drives in case of a drive failure on the way home. Putting on two drives may seem meticulous but better safe than sorry. (I had a drive corrupt on my way home once!)

The system above to us seems the most logical way of doing things but we were wondering if there was some sort of fast all in one box which you can plug in your cards/drives then it does a backup, maybe automatically? I mean we all wanna get home ASAP after a long shoot rather than waiting for files to transfer right?

I'm imagining some kind of compact RAID 1 (2 x 2tb) box with a card reader/usb/thunderbolt connection and small screen to manage/see all rushes have been transferred. Battery powered would also be nice.....

Does any one have any knowledge of such a device or does everyone just take a MBP?

Thanks,

Alex James

TINY ARK
http://www.tinyark.com

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Fast Location Storage and Backup
on Oct 19, 2016 at 7:04:00 pm

everyone takes a Mac Book Pro. There are so many on location to work with.
And both Sonnet and JMR make pocket size thunderbolt 2 SSD drive that are about 500 gig, so it's more than enough for a small shoot, and you can stick it in your shirt pocket when you are done !

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Alex James
Re: Fast Location Storage and Backup
on Oct 21, 2016 at 3:42:43 pm

Thanks Bob,

Yea, maybe I dreamed something up! After doing a little more research; although the Sonnet Fusion looks great with speeds Data transfer rates up to 2100 MB/s!! The 512Gb isn't quite enough for us. We need more like 2TB for when potentially out for a few days shooting 4K. After doing a little more research I stumbled across this:

SANDISK EXTREME 900 PORTABLE SSD USB 3.1- 1.92TB - £500 on amazon seems like a pretty reasonable price.
https://www.sandisk.com/home/ssd/extreme-900-ssd
850 MB/s read/write speeds should be a vast improvement and save time at the end of the day on location.

Samsung also do similar but I think i'd rather trust a company that is less prone to their products catching fire...

Final question would be; Do you an trust SSD entirely to have all your rushes in one place at the end of a shoot?

Thanks,

Alex James

TINY ARK
http://www.tinyark.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]