FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best storage/backup solution for a video-editing team of 3-4 people?

COW Forums : Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremy Stephens
Best storage/backup solution for a video-editing team of 3-4 people?
on Oct 5, 2016 at 3:07:18 pm

Hi everyone,

My video editing group's looking for a way to backup and easily access our video project files. Right now, we store everything on daisy-chained external HDs. And it's terrible.

We need something better than external HDs. We also need something that can hook up to our office's Internet network (I work at a large company).

At home, I use the Synology DS214 Play for backing up and accessing my personal project files. It's a great setup that I've been really happy with. Is there anything similar to this that'd be better suited for a larger office for files that need to be accessed by 3-4 employees at the same time?
My requirements:

• 30 TB storage space (with scalability)
  • Allows for remote access for when we're off-site
  • Ethernet networked
  • iMac compatible
  • 3-4 workstations to be working off of the storage at any given time.

Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Best storage/backup solution for a video-editing team of 3-4 people?
on Oct 5, 2016 at 8:02:03 pm

of course - there are lots of products out there that will do exactly what you want - certainly for a small number of 3 - 4 people. You are already familiar with Synology. Do you know that Synology makes larger 10G systems that will do exactly what you want ? 4K editing and everything, for all your users. And it's a great low price. Either way, you still need a 10G switch, and the setup of all your computers done correctly. Do you have a dealer in England to do this for you ?

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Stephens
on Oct 5, 2016 at 8:05:43 pm

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the quick response. I had no idea that Synology provides 10G systems- I'll look into this. Our company is actually in Toronto Canada, so I can say without confidence that we do not have a dealer in the U.K. who can do this, for us. :)

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Oct 5, 2016 at 11:05:03 pm

Jeremy writes -
so I can say without confidence that we do not have a dealer in the U.K. who can do this, for us. ?

REPLY -
well, you know the answer to this question ?
this is the Synology you want - and there are plenty of other products that will do the same job. But since you like synology ...........................

you want this exact product -
https://www.synology.com/en-us/products/RS18016xs+
and you MUST order the 10G option, so it can plug into a Netgear 10G switch (with this card, you will need a Twinax cable to connect to the Netgear).

Is it fast - you bet your behind !!!!!

and you can add 14 expander chassis to it. It's just great.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Oct 6, 2016 at 6:58:12 pm

Canada ?

http://www.directdial.com

bob

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]