FORUMS: list search recent posts

found a new free storage calculator for iOS - android version too coming

COW Forums : Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
raj singh
found a new free storage calculator for iOS - android version too coming
on Sep 21, 2016 at 4:45:20 pm

Theres a new app called eSpace which calculates disk space needed for storing codecs when filming / editing

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/espace/id1150396161?mt=8

I thought I would share the info with everyone else.

Cool thing is you can calculate multiple formats in parallel, for example how much total disk space will 3 hrs of dnxhd 36 and 1 dnxhr hqx take up.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: found a new free storage calculator for iOS - android version too coming
on Sep 21, 2016 at 5:30:49 pm

this is a very nice app, however, while it's free, I find it a little inconvenient that it reports the codec speed requirement in Mb/sec, instead of MB/sec.

So when I select (for example) 4K UKD, at 23.98 frames per second, with a Codec of ProRes, it reports back 468 Mb/sec.
I then have to use Google to convert 468 Mb/sec to 58.5 MB/sec (not something I can do in my head).

So I am greatful that this app exists, and is more comprehensive than AJA Data Calc, but it's a little inconvenient.
I know - it's FREE, so I should just be happy, and not complain.

Thank you for posting this.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

raj singh
on Sep 21, 2016 at 5:58:21 pm

Agreed, message them and ask for an update, I already sent in three requests and they said they one of my requests is valid and next version they will add it.

Looks like they are happy to keep it up to date

Why do you need to convert to MB/s for your own maths?

However I do like the custom date rate option where you can enter your own custom data rate in MB or Mb

Return to posts index

raj singh
on Sep 21, 2016 at 6:08:28 pm

BTW as a work around once you have selected you codec go back to the main page choose 'SEC' at the top and enter the value 1 and the selected 'MB' and you will get the MB value for one second

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Sep 21, 2016 at 8:30:57 pm

this works wonderfully. Thank you for showing me this.

All bandwidth for drives, and networks, from video companies like AJA, Blackmagic, etc. all use speed tests that show MB/sec. Ethernet or 10G ethernet bandwidth is based for video people in MB/sec. So those are numbers that I can easily relate to. Showing Mb/sec or Gb/sec always requires a conversion.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]