FORUMS: list search recent posts

What external storage drive should I get for editing?

COW Forums : Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Leonard
What external storage drive should I get for editing?
on Aug 31, 2016 at 3:53:55 pm

Pretty simple question, as the title implies. I work at a local TV station editing local commercials. We used to use a fairly old computer with a Drobo 5D for editing that was having a lot of lag, but at least it would usually play something without stuttering the second time through and could fit everything (video and editing files) on it. We moved that computer down to "secondary" status along with the Drobo (also, that old computer is the only one that has Avid, and so we need to keep the drive with that one in order to access our many old Avid projects).

So for the new computer, we're editing on the latest version of Premiere CC and temporarily trying both a WD My Book Duo and a WD Elements drive. Both are OK but not fantastic. Maybe even a touch worse than the Drobo. They both tend to lag/jump while previewing complex animations, and the Elements needs a few seconds of "Media Pending" before it can preview anything when a new project is opened.

So what new drive should we get? Ideally we'd like to be able to keep all 7.5 TB of data on the new drive and have plenty of room to spare for future video and edits, although we can easily clear up a lot of space by not copying the old Avid files to the new drive. New computer runs Windows 10 Enterprise with the below stats:

What external drive should we get?

Return to posts index

Steve Grappone
Re: What external storage drive should I get for editing?
on Aug 31, 2016 at 7:54:53 pm

Hi Adam,

Best way to solve this problem is by figuring out how many concurrent connection will be pulling from the storage, and what video format you're working with will determine the connection speed required. some other key factors is the size of your storage. If you wanted a 10TB NAS and you have 7.2Tb that's a 72% closer to the center of the physical hard drive, and basic physics apply the closer to the center the slower the speed.

In some cases you might find it applicable to get a 10 gig network for you editing systems. Or T-bolt if applicable.

Hope this helps.

Return to posts index

Adam Leonard
on Sep 1, 2016 at 1:38:22 pm

It will be mostly used by this one computer, although we're most likely going to network it to at least one other computer to allow the videographer to dump new footage to it directly from his machine in the next room over.

All footage shot in the last 9 months or so is in .mxf format and was shot on a Sony FS7 (more details copied from Premiere: Wrapper type: MXF OP1a (type: SingleItem SinglePackage MultiTrack Stream Internal)
File generated by: Sony, Mem (1.00)
MPEG-2 422 Long-GOP).

There's a bunch of footage shot on an older camera from about 2012 until about 9 months ago that's in .mp4 format that I still use occasionally.

About 18 months before we switched to the new computer and Premiere we tried using a Drobo that was connected over the network and it failed miserably (was too slow to work with), so I don't really want to try that again.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Sep 2, 2016 at 12:46:31 pm

any of the 10G QNAP, Synology, or Netgear ReadyNas products will work for you.
You can hookup multiple computers and not need a switch for just the 2 - 3 users.
But if must be one of the 10G products they make. Are you the one that will configure this ?

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]