FORUMS: list search recent posts

Video Editing System Set-Up

COW Forums : Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brett Raeburn
Video Editing System Set-Up
on Aug 19, 2016 at 2:49:31 pm

Hey all. I just got a great system for video editing, but I wanted to make sure that I was optimizing it so that I was getting the most out of it. I should say, up front, that I am a little bit of a newb when it comes to hardware systems, so please bear with me a little. I was looking for thoughts on how to set up this system, in regards to hard drives, RAIDs, and where to divide them up between OS, source media, project files, caches, and previews/exports.

Here's my system:

Mac Pro (Late 2013)
3 Ghz 8-core Intel Xeon E5 processor
32 GB RAM
Dual AMD FirePro D500 GPU w/ 3 GB VRAM
1 TB Flash Storage SSD

I also have an 8 TB OWC ThunderBay 4 external hard drive connected by thunderbolt that I am currently using to store my source files, my project files, and my cache files. There are 4 separate drives in this unit, but I believe they are RAID 0, so they're all seen as one big drive.

I do have the ability to purchase more drives, so I was contemplating buying another Thunderbay. Then I would use my internal flash storage for the OS and software, use my current Thunderbay for source media and project files, and then use the new Thunderbay for media cache, previews, and exports. What do you all think? Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]