FORUMS: list search recent posts

Netstor NS780S - What card do I need on my Host?

COW Forums : Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Molieri
Netstor NS780S - What card do I need on my Host?
on Jul 18, 2016 at 11:33:47 pm

Hi All,

I am looking to assemble a DAS system for my home computer. This will be used entirely for my personal photo & video library - so no need for anything beyond being a DAS.

Now, I've been looking at the Netstor NS780S and I understand I need a raid card in there. I'll probably set it up as a Raid 5 or 6.

What I don't quite understand is how I will connect this to my PC. It seems like I use a mini SAS on the external port of, lets say I have a RocketRaid 3540, but what kinda of card would I purchase for my PC? Is there a relatively cheap mini SAS PCIe adapter card? If so any recommendations? I've googled this and all I can find are expensive raid cards....

Thanks for the help!

Return to posts index

Andrew Proude
Re: Netstor NS780S - What card do I need on my Host?
on Jul 19, 2016 at 5:33:11 am

There is no way I would rely on an (proprietary) internal RAID card with a JBOD,
if anything happens to the card then the chance of your data being toast is high.
Much easier just to get a NAS, QNAP, Synology etc - they have much greater flexibility and compatibility.

Return to posts index

Joe Molieri
on Jul 19, 2016 at 1:51:54 pm

So after further reading I realized the NS780S ships with the card needed to connect to the host computer.

Andrew thanks for the info. Looks like there is much I'm not aware of.

I was under the impression with the NS780S that when the raid card or a hard drive went bad I would be able to swap whatever component failed and rebuild the raid and thus the data would be A OK. Is this less straightforward or much less likely to successfully rebuild than I'm thinking?

Return to posts index

Andrew Proude
on Jul 21, 2016 at 5:30:04 am

In the event of a failed component, then yes you can just replace it.
I was thinking more in terms of when the product is EOL or they stop making drivers for your OS the RAID card becomes useless.
Using either an external RAID (with its own controller) which connects via common SAS or Fibre channel or a NAS (preferably) somewhat alleviates that problem.
I know I have storage that far outlived the host computer and or operating system lifetime.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]