FORUMS: list search recent posts

Looking for a USB flash drive type product...

COW Forums : Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Herd
Looking for a USB flash drive type product...
on Jun 24, 2016 at 4:00:03 pm

Hello,

Maybe my search terms are failing me, but I've searched and cannot find find something as follows:

a USB flash drive that has 2 connectors (with a longish wire), in this way I can plug two separate computers into the same USB flash drive and have an instant share between to the machines. This is important because I have two computers, one a laptop that I use, the other is the IT-controlled domain workstation that has permissions locked down, except for USB (< 16GB).

I hope I make sense. It's always a risk.
Thanks!

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Looking for a USB flash drive type product...
on Jun 24, 2016 at 11:09:54 pm

Hello -
you cannot have what you want.
Not only can you not have an instant share between a USB flash drive product between 2 computers, you cannot have an instant share between two thunderbolt computers and a single thunderbolt drive, nor a firewire drive, nor a mini SAS drive, nor ANYTHING ELSE. You either buy a NAS (network attached storage), or you buy a full shared storage system. "But isn't there anything for like 100 bucks that I can get to work" - NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO.

What you are asking for makes sense, and you CANNOT do it. Even if your IT controlled domain workstation was not "locked down", you CANNOT share a single drive between two computers, without some sort of management.
Period.
End of story
Voila
bye bye
sayonara
see you later
adios
bob Zelin
... and you too.

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Dave Mackey
Re: Looking for a USB flash drive type product...
on Jul 13, 2016 at 3:50:22 pm

Hi Richard,

I'm not sure this is what you actually want to do. I would suggest plugging the USB drive directly into the workstation and then share the drive on your network so your other computer can connect. (Are you familiar with folder sharing in Windows/Mac?)

But if you did want to do it this way, I think you'd need an intermediary device that would then be connected to your two computers. This could be a USB bridge of sorts, you would connect your USB device to the bridge, then the bridge would connect via USB to your two computers...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]