FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to Combine Multiple external Hard Drives?

COW Forums : Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Suhas Bhat
How to Combine Multiple external Hard Drives?
on Jun 22, 2016 at 12:35:48 pm

I Have lot of video footages for last 15 years. all are stored in different external hard disk. 22 hard disk with average 3TB capacity. Its hectic to change hard disk each time so I want a solution. Is there any way to connect them all and use without any problem? hard disk models : 1)Seagate expansion desktop drive 2)Seagate backup plus expansion desktop drive 3)WD my book essential

Return to posts index

jordan devin
Re: How to Combine Multiple external Hard Drives?
on Jun 30, 2016 at 6:12:03 pm

Once you've gone through a few computers, you probably have more than a few old hard drives lying around. You don't have to let them go to waste, though! Here's how to combine multiple hard drives into one, huge volume that'll hold just about anything.

Storage is pretty cheap these days, and buying a new hard drive is always going to be the best way to increase your storage. However, maybe you're on a strict budget and can't afford a new drive. In that case, you might be better off combining some old drives you have lying around. Or, maybe you have other specific needs that require lots of space on one volume. For example, perhaps you're.

Return to posts index

Suhas Bhat
on Jul 1, 2016 at 9:42:47 am

any suggestion will be appreciated. Do I have to connect those drives with USB hub, or there is any better solution? I am ready to invest one time. Mostly i work on 4-5 drives at a time each of 4TB storage capacity.

Return to posts index

Lizzy Smith
on Jul 5, 2016 at 6:36:20 am

Hi Suhas Bhat, I would suggest you to use the RAID server to get the large storage space and data redundancy.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jul 5, 2016 at 12:09:56 pm

Hi
Lizzy is correct -
this is a very inexpensive 4 drive RAID enclosure for Thunderbolt -
https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/TB2IVKIT0GB/
it's under $400. There are better ones with better protection, but you could use a software product like SoftRaid, and still only spend $400.

If you ask "well, how can I do this with just the equipment that I currently own, and not spend any money" - the answer is simple - you can't.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

jordan devin
on Jul 11, 2016 at 3:21:03 pm

Storage is pretty cheap these days, and buying a new hard drive is always going to be the best way to increase your storage. However, maybe you're on a strict budget and can't afford a new drive. In that case, you might be better off combining some old drives you have lying around. Or, maybe you have other specific needs that require lots of space on one volume. For example, perhaps you're:

You're storing terabytes worth of of movies, TV shows, music, or other media you've ripped and want it all on one volume
You need lots of consecutive storage for video editing, photo editing, or other "scratch disk" needs
You have a lot of games that have to be stored on the same volume (e.g., Steam games) but can't fit them all on one drive
In this guide, we'll discuss three options for combining multiple hard drives, how to do each, and their advantages and disadvantages to one another.

https://www.tape4backup.com/

Return to posts index

Suhas Bhat
on Jul 12, 2016 at 2:00:52 pm

Thanks everyone. I'l check these options.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]