FORUMS: list search recent posts

APFS. Finally!

COW Forums : Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
alex gardiner
APFS. Finally!
on Jun 14, 2016 at 9:16:48 am
Last Edited By alex gardiner on Jun 14, 2016 at 9:20:55 am

http://arstechnica.co.uk/apple/2016/06/apfs-apple-new-file-system-dev-detai...

Finally Apple are doing something interesting on the file system front. Looks like they're taking some inspiration from ZFS, such as copy-on-write type behaviour, snapshots & the ability to automatically export volumes via SMB... at least thats what they said :-)

So, not the only interesting thing to come out of WWDC 2016, but one of the more exciting ones for folks that get weirdly turned on by storage products.

I wonder even more if it can be pooled? Hope so!

Fun times. This won't arrive for a bit, but when it does I think it'll be a big thing for video people.

alex@indiestor.com
Open Source Shared Storage

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: APFS. Finally!
on Jun 15, 2016 at 10:22:41 am

you may say "finally" but you forget that more than 50% of the customers have legacy issues here.

It is not clear to me that APFS will be the default file system for Sierra when you initialize a drive, since this article clearly states that AFPS at the moment cannot be your boot drive.
It clearly states that AFP is no longer supported. Well, right now with SMB, there is a massive SMB issue with
"signing required" which slows down any SMB connection - even on a 10G network - to ridiculous slow speeds (in El Capitan OS X 10.11.5), and requires manual removal, or change to disable required signing over an SMB connection.
IF you have 20 computers, this is a huge pain in the butt.

And again, they state that AFPS is SMB. Well, what about NFS ? Is this no longer supported ? How will FCP-X be handled for shared storage, unless you force people into iSCSI (because no one is going to do XSAN in 2016 - 2017).

And with all of this, I can certainly guess that this is the last nail in the coffin for FCP 7. So while people (like me) will say "tough luck boys, go out and buy some new equipment, and learn some new software" - the reality is that people want compatibility with their old stuff - and APFS and Sierra may kill all of this.

For those that are unaware, this is the end of legacy Mac Pro's from 2008 and 2009 - only 5,1 Mac Pro's (and of course 6,1 Cylinder Mac Pro's) are supported.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jun 15, 2016 at 10:28:30 am

and more -

APFS formatted volumes are not recognized on OS X 10.11 Yosemite and earlier.
You can share APFS formatted volumes using the SMB network file sharing protocol. The AFP protocol is deprecated and cannot be used to share APFS formatted volumes.

so don't expect to use APFS on your "old" brand new Mac running anything but Sierra. Which means you will be using new computers for this from Apple. And no utilities that exist that I can see that will let you mount a APFS volume on a Win PC.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

alex gardiner
on Jun 15, 2016 at 1:19:18 pm

"you may say "finally" but you forget that more than 50% of the customers have legacy issues here"

haha sure, but remember this is Apple we're talking about.. this is what they do ;-)

alex@indiestor.com
Open Source Shared Storage

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]