FORUMS: list search recent posts

Backing up to harddrive without overwriting files

COW Forums : Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
TImi Boose
Backing up to harddrive without overwriting files
on Sep 6, 2013 at 10:04:45 pm

Hi,

This is probably a dumb question but I'm never sure how i should go about it. I have limited storage on my laptop and do a lot of music and video that i want to move over to my portable harddrive. So the first time is easy - I just drag over the folder - lets call it My Music - and it copies to the harddrive - no problem. Well then I remove a bunch of files from the My Music folder on my computer, so I have can have extra space.

Then the next time I back up, I don't want to drag the whole folder again because it will overwrite the file with more files with less files. Is there away to analyze what is on each folder so it will only drag over the new files?

Return to posts index

TImi Boose
Re: Backing up to harddrive without overwriting files
on Sep 6, 2013 at 11:00:28 pm

Anyone?? I'm sure a million people have this down

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
on Sep 6, 2013 at 11:06:14 pm

robocopy and sync toys come to mind

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Sep 7, 2013 at 8:04:49 pm

just my stupid opinion, but don't you think it would be a good idea to organize each project you are working on in a seperate folder ? This way, you could have "My Music" as your main media folder, but inside "My Music" would be individual folders that would have your project media and data for each project. This way, you could keep track of individual projects, instead of one big mess of files, and you could say "ok, I am done with this project, I am going to take everything off my hard drive, and stick it on this USB2 backup drive". And put that on the shelf. This way, in 6 months, if you have to restore that media, because the client came back, you could just pop in that USB drive, and restore the media.
This is how you would do it with LTO tapes, and how many people do it with eSATA drives for large shared storage volumes.

Even if you say "i don't have enough money to buy seperate USB or FW drives for each project I am working on" - the organize your single USB backup drive by project, so you could have multiple folders on your backup drive for each project you are working on.

SO - now you come back and have to update that ONE project, because the client made changes to the job. You are no longer backing up the entire MY MUSIC folder - just the little project folder with the media and project data for that one project, so it will be quick - 50 gigs instead of 2 Terabytes !

BUT you may say "I don't have time for all of this organization crap - I am too busy - I just want to throw all my crap randomly on one big drive, and back it up to one big drive, and not have to deal with any of this organization nonsense". Well, what can I say ...........

bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
maxavid@cfl.rr.com

Return to posts index

TImi Boose
on Sep 10, 2013 at 10:55:16 pm

Hi Bob - Yeah it is not for clients at this point - just my personal music for the most part.
I definitely need to be more organized. There are some project folders per song but sometimes I record something and it just has a date because it's not the name of a song yet so it might not be in a folder - like maybe lyrics will be added later so later the name will change. It's too hard to remember song by song - that is too many projects. I just want to drag only the new stuff over and want something to analyze it so I don't overwrite and lose stuff. So maybe I'll try what Alex said, although he didn't give a whole lot of info.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Sep 11, 2013 at 11:50:44 am

Timi -
I am sorry to be condescending to you, but you MUST be organized in your life. Even if this is for personal use only - what about that great song of the band you saw live - WHERE IS IT 6 years from now ? What about that photo or video that you took of you with that band backstage ? Where is it 6 years from now? What about your finances, your retirement accounts, your W9 forms when the IRS audits you for something stupid 3 years from now ? Your grand mothers phone # ? EVERYTHING has to be organized, or your life is just chaos. Organization is responsibility, and responsibility is begin a grown up.

Now, lets relate this to the professional video business. EVERY DAMN MUSIC track has to be in an asset system that you, or your boss, or your client can find at a moments notice (not - "gee, I know it's somewhere on here"). And certainly for video assets - that is what CatDV, Interplay, and Axle Video are all about - asset management. You are on a storage forum, but part of storage (like the clothes in your closet) are about ARCHIVE (backup), and ASSET.
MANAGEMENT. So when you have storage, you need to back it up, in case something goes wrong (be it your job media files, or that once in a life time recording of a great band that you love). Backup means that you didn't have time to do laundry because you have been so busy, and you need a BACKUP pair of socks or undies to wear. You HAVE to have backup. And you have to know what draw you put your socks in (it's in that damn closet somewhere !). That's asset management.

So be it fun, or work, it's all the same. You just can't shove stuff into a big box (big disk drive). You have to be organized.
It makes everything in life easier.

Sorry for the stupid lecture, but it applies to these forums, especially storage, SAN, NAS, Arrays, Archive, and Asset Management.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
maxavid@cfl.rr.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]