FORUMS: list search recent posts

Good and reliable storage solution for simultaneous editing (at least 2 editors)?

COW Forums : Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joern Wilting
Good and reliable storage solution for simultaneous editing (at least 2 editors)?
on Jan 21, 2016 at 3:35:21 pm

Hi guys,

I've just read through many different posts and discussions but didn't get close enough for an answer to my problem/question.

I am working at a (medium sized) production company in Hamburg, Germany. As our productions keep growing and data storage gets scarce we are currently looking for a solution for our post production.

We are mainly working with Adobe Premiere Pro & After Effects and from time to time Final Cut Pro 7 on MacBooks and MacPros. So far we mostly work with 1080p HD footage and haven't made the step further to 4K (might considering it in the next couple of years).

We are looking for a storage solution that provides us the ability that at least 2 or more editors can work with the same data/drives simultaneously. Furthermore, the storage size should be restock-able. As a starting size we would prefer something between 16 and 24 TB. In a perfect world the solution would be "Raid protected" for safety.

I read a lot about NAS, SAN and so on but am not sure what a suitable solution might be right for us.

I hope anyone here can share his/her knowledge with us. If you need any further information to make a suggestion please let me know.

Thanks a lot for your help already.

Cheers from Germany,
Jörn

Return to posts index

bryce arroyo
Re: Good and reliable storage solution for simultaneous editing (at least 2 editors)?
on Jan 21, 2016 at 5:17:45 pm

joern,

I would recommend using a mac pro connected with a gtech studio xl with 24tb with the 10 gig switch for the editors to hook up. We make a solution here at maxx digital and can give you some more info. if you'd like.

Bryce Arroyo
maxx digital
714-374-4944
bryce@maxxdigital.com

Return to posts index

Joern Wilting
Re: Good and reliable storage solution for simultaneous editing (at least 2 editors)?
on Feb 8, 2016 at 2:10:33 pm

Hi Bryce,

first of all, thanks a lot for your help. The G-Tech solution seems like a decent option for us especially regarding the price that is asked for it.

However, I just got back from a mail conversation with the guys from G-Technologies. They pointed out that the Studio XL (as well as the Shuttle XL) is NOT a NAS and therefore could only be accessed/used by one editor/editing suite at a time. So I am wondering how you guys solved this. Is the 10 gig switch the magic key or what's the secret ingredient?

To be able to use it by multiple editors simultaneously is crucial for our decision. Therefore, it would be great if you can share some light on this one.

Thanks a lot already.

Cheers,
Jörn

Return to posts index

bryce arroyo
on Feb 9, 2016 at 6:35:19 pm

Joern,

Shoot me over an email directly, and I can explain how we make it work here and still works into your budget. But yes the switch and other components play a big role.

Bryce Arroyo
bryce@maxxdigital.com
714-374-4944

Return to posts index

Andrew McKay
on Jan 21, 2016 at 7:37:58 pm

Hi Jorn,

Congrats on your company's success. Data management issues are a natural growing pain, but easy to manage with the right storage solution.

Full disclosure: I work for Studio Network Solutions, we have thousands of customers using our network storage solutions in small-medium sized environments like the one you're describing, as well deployments ranging in the petabytes with M&E giants. We also have a robust network of distribution partners in EU who can help you install and support the right system for you.

An EVO 8 Bay is ideal for smaller environments up to 8 or more users, and can scale up to 48TB in one chassis. An EVO 8 Bay at RAID 5 working with something like ProRes 422 gives around 24 streams of video, so your editors will be able to easily access the same media files simultaneously. You'll also be able to connect up to 10 1GbE workstations directly to the server.

You'll also get unlimited licenses of our ShareBrowser client interface, which allows every editor to search, tag, comment, index, preview, and verify all of the media on your network. We've also designed a custom project locking feature for Adobe that allows editors to access the same project files simultaneously without the possibility of overwriting one another.

I'd love to get you a demo of the system. You can call us at 1 314-733-0551, or email Alex Hlavaty (ahlavaty@studionetworksolutions.com). Alex is our territory manager for Europe and an all around good guy.

Feel free to let me know if you have any questions.

Best,
Andrew

Return to posts index

Issam Abaza
on Jan 23, 2016 at 7:48:13 am

Hi Jorn

We are using the EVO solution since 3 years now and I am so pleased with their superb support and solution. It might be above your budget (if compared to the G-Tech basic simple solution proposed earlier), but the security and reliability is far beyond comparison.

Good luck with your choice

Issam

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]