FORUMS: list search recent posts

Video Storage Solution

COW Forums : Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Baur
Video Storage Solution
on Jan 18, 2016 at 4:30:17 pm

Recently an external unexpectedly fried on me, but I was fortunate in that the data was recovered. Moving forward, I'm wondering what the best video storage solution would be. Dropbox offerrs 1TB for $10/month. That would be enough for now, but I'd eventually need more space. So I'm wondering if perhaps I should use Dropbox to backup ongoing projects? Or maybe have one external I use only to hold projects I'm done with? A retired external, so to speak?

I obvoiusly want to keep everything backed up, so I don't risk losing out on my life's work again, but my mind goes in circles thinking of the most efficient and affordable solution. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Return to posts index

bryce arroyo
Re: Video Storage Solution
on Jan 19, 2016 at 8:31:58 pm

Joe,

Do you want to keep a cloud type of storage system or do you want external? I recommend external its easier to use, and you can always have extra drives on hand just in case you run into the problem you just had. If you have time, give me a call and we can talk.

Bryce Arroyo
Maxx Digital
714-374-4944

Return to posts index

Joe Baur
on Jan 27, 2016 at 5:18:12 pm

Hey Bryce,

Thanks for taking the time and sorry for the late reply.

Cloud storage would theoretically be great, so I don't have the hardware lying around, but I need more than what Dropbox can offer. I have probably about 3TBs worth.

I've been racking my brain on a solution. It would seem to me that if I have 3TB of footage, I need something that holds like 6TBs (so I can dump into it and have room for more), another the same size to back it up on, and then just a little guy to bring with me on my travels.

Thoughts? My email is joe@joebaur.com. That works, too!

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jan 20, 2016 at 5:35:00 pm

Hi Joe -
try putting 50 gig of media on drop box. See how long it takes.
Then try to download it. See how long it takes.

This will help you determine if a cloud site is the right thing for you.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Russ D'Arensbourg
on May 14, 2016 at 2:37:29 am

I've been looking into various storage solutions for my own purposes lately. I also used to work fro a cloud storage provider which was purchased by Lenovo/EMC.
Cloud storage is best suited for light and medium weight media that needs to accessed from multiple locations. It is not well suited to heavy weight mediums like digital video footage.
A couple roadblocks present themselves. Cloud storage is not architected for large contiguous files or realtime playback of HD footage.
Your files when they are uploaded to Amazon S3 or Microsoft Azure or whomever, will be chopped up and scattered across hundreds of file servers in dozens of locations. This is great for your data to be redundantly protected against loss. It also means it takes forever to upload and download.

The cost of most cloud storage solutions is prohibitive for video workflows, even as backup. Just due to the sheer volume of data that even a short form project can entail. However AWS and I believe Azure have deals from time to time. I think Amazon has a deal right now which is free for a few months, then some nominal amount per year.

I'm thinking of setting one of those up as my offsite DR solution. But as others have said, upload and download will crawl. It is not anything you would want to deal with when you have a client on the phone.
You would still want local or network based storage to work with.
The cloud is not a panacea.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]