FORUMS: list search recent posts

RAID 0 or not?

COW Forums : Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Thorpe
RAID 0 or not?
on Dec 3, 2015 at 9:09:02 am

Hi all,
I have a "noob" question regarding media drives for FCPX.

My main business is audio recording and mixing, but more and more I'm doing small music video clips for my clients (mostly for YouTube and website use and occasionally DVD or Blu-Ray demo disks)

I've just upgraded my system to new Mac Pro 6core ("trashcan"), Pro Tools HDX and a 4-bay Thunderbolt drive case with 2xSamsung 850 Pro 2TB SSDs (for audio and video media), plus a 2TB and a 4TB conventional drives (backup audio and video respectively)

I'd like some opinions whether it's worth partitioning the SSDs in half and creating a 2TB RAID 0 for video (use 1TB for audio jobs and the remaining 1TB for sound sample libraries/PhotoShop cache)

Or is the SSD fast enough to use one for video and the other for everything else?

I generally shoot in full HD (with DSLRs) and have anything from 3 to 10 streams(angles)
Normally I convert the camera files to ProRes 422, plus Proxy files.

Thanks, guys..........

Tom.

Return to posts index

Tyler Chittick
Re: RAID 0 or not?
on Jan 6, 2016 at 2:01:59 am

I'm gonna channel Bob Zelin here and say you never want to use RAID 0. Sure, it's fast and it sounds neat, but it's mostly for the marketing guys to throw big numbers at you and make you go WOW. You'd be better off using one drive for audio jobs and one drive for whatever else. That way, if one drive goes down, at least you'll only lose half of your data and not all of it. Thunderbolt should give you more than enough bandwidth to work off one drive in full HD no problem.

--
Tyler Chittick
Integration & Technical Support
Maxx Digital
http://www.maxxdigital.com
tyler@maxxdigital.com
714-374-4944

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: RAID 0 or not?
on Jan 6, 2016 at 5:50:09 pm

if SSDs lasted forever, and would not fail, and were not "breakable", they would offer lifetime
warrantee's (like many switch manufacturers offer these days. Why not offer lifetime warrantee's for SSD's - there are no moving parts ? How could they fail ?

Well, they do fail, and if you feel that losing your data, and pissing off your clients is worth getting 10% more speed with RAID 0, then go right ahead and use RAID 0. In my opinion, if you even lose ONE client because you lost your data, every penny you saved is down the toilet (and then some).

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]