FORUMS: list search recent posts

I'm running a RAID 5. Do i need to leave free space?

COW Forums : Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Noam Osband
I'm running a RAID 5. Do i need to leave free space?
on Nov 9, 2015 at 5:02:01 pm

I've connected four different four TB drives in a RAID 5. This gives me 12TB to play with. I'm editing video with it. I know normally with hard drives you want to keep free space on drives. Do I need to do that with a RAID 5? Given the fact the combined space of the 4 drives is 16TB (although I only have 12TB to play with in the RAID 5 configuration), I wonder if the situation is different.

So...do I need to leave free space?

Return to posts index

Tyler Chittick
Re: I'm running a RAID 5. Do i need to leave free space?
on Nov 24, 2015 at 12:03:53 am

You always need to leave free space on a volume, no matter how many drives are in it.

--
Tyler Chittick
Integration & Technical Support
Maxx Digital
http://www.maxxdigital.com
tyler@maxxdigital.com
714-374-4944

Return to posts index

Kannan Raghavan
on Jan 8, 2016 at 4:06:31 am

Hi Noam,
I've read that drive performance drops after the drive is 50% full. I usually never go more than 50-60% on my working drive. I backup completed projects onto a spare drive.

Kannan Raghavan
The Big Toad Films Pte. Ltd.

Return to posts index

Noam Osband
on Jan 8, 2016 at 6:19:40 pm

Argh. I have about 2.5% free, 340 GB on a 12 TB RAID 5 which is itself made out of four 4TB hard drives. Problem is I'm editing a super lage project and I didn't realize what my space needs would be until I started. Everything seems to run fine. It's a bit sluggish sometimes, but I might need to keep it like this until I'm farther along in the editing and I know what I can delete.

Are there any dangers, besides slower performance, of such little free space in a RAID 5?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]