FORUMS: list search recent posts

Which forum is best for questions about DAM/MAM software?

COW Forums : Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Victor Richardson
Which forum is best for questions about DAM/MAM software?
on Aug 7, 2015 at 3:19:28 am
Last Edited By Victor Richardson on Aug 7, 2015 at 5:22:24 am

Suggestions of DAM/MAMs to manage content with searchable metadata
Client is a smaller(6-16 editors) production/post house doing documentaries, small indie films, and action sports spots in HD/2k/4k/6k.
They will be consolidating a 500TB of content onto a new 10GbE NAS network and need something to help organize all that
So far, all I've been able to find is CatDV

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Which forum is best for questions about DAM/MAM software?
on Aug 7, 2015 at 12:46:15 pm

Archive and backup is the forum you want
Cat dv is excellent
Also look at axle video
What 10 g nas are they putting in?

Bob zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Victor Richardson
Re: Which forum is best for questions about DAM/MAM software?
on Aug 7, 2015 at 8:54:40 pm
Last Edited By Victor Richardson on Aug 8, 2015 at 7:32:09 am

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, Bob
I'm still putting together quotes from 5-6 well known solution providers - not to waste vendor's time - but, to give them a range of options and prices) to choose from. So far, I've got one from SNS, Small Tree, ACNC/Jetstor, Maxx Digital, and the non-DV specific 45 Drives NAS()

Let me give a little more background on what they do, what they've got currently, what they want to do, and what I've proposed
They are a small production company that does documentaries, small features ($1-5 mil), and extreme sports (surfing, snowboarding) interview projects, mostly in 1080 using Premier Pro and After Affects.They have 6 full time editors/post employees, and up to 10 more depending on projects. The 6 fulltime people work on new Mac Pro IIs, the rest a mixture of the same and 27" iMacs. All work is done locally, no real network outside of shared internet.

They recently got some 4K and 6K cameras and that quickly threw a wrench in the gears. They've been adding $7k 64TB G-Tech Studio XL's locally(via Thunderbolt) every 2-3 months as need be. And are now up to six of them at 80-95% full, along with several other 12-20TB others that are full. They said their average project is 20TB. The old saying "There are producers, and there are Collectors" definitely applies. At least, they recognize they have a problem.

Up to this point, one of their editors have been guiding their tech decisions. They have all gotten used to editing in 4K raw via the Thunderbolt tubs and want to have that option for the 6 primary Mac Pro II editing stations(all in same room). I haven't gotten a clear answer why they do this and can only guess to save the time spent downscaling(?). Most likely, because they can via Thunderbolt. The other 10 stations will work at lower resolutions

The current goal is the ability to work on 3-4 simultaneous projects(~60-80TB storage) delivering 4-6 4K streams simultaneously(to the 6 primary stations), along with several 1080 streams. We'll deal with the archive of 500TB later(slowly being moved to tape). I've estimated this will take >96TB NAS storage(1 or two chassis),maybe 4TB disk arrays for speed of access, and at least 6 direct 10Gbe card connections and/or a couple of dual port 10Gbe cards to a 10Gbe swtich, and a separate 1Gbe switch for the 1080 stations. Then, 6x Sanlink2 converter boxes

Since doing DV/prod networks is not something I've ever done before(manufacturing, ERP, etc), i spent the last 3 weeks crash-coursing the basics. Arrogance had me start at the "roll your own X-san storage" POV, but after reading all the posts about fine tuning it, I've wised up to the proven single provider solution. They don't, and won't, have IT staff anytime soon. They need something that will work (nearly) out-of-the-box and be stable. And it must be relatively easy maintain.

Now, the final variable is budget. They were given a $300k quote from someone else earlier - I have no idea what that estimate consisted of. Not that they had the ability to buy a $300k system...

By the way, feel free to PM me Bob, if you have a solution(I know you do). I cannot figure out how to PM off Creative Cow

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]