FORUMS: list search recent posts

LaCie 5big disk failure

COW Forums : Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oscar Birk
LaCie 5big disk failure
on Jul 23, 2015 at 8:25:11 am

Hey guys.

Im pretty new to RAID drives and how they work.

We have a LaCie 5big RAID, and I have really bad experience with its stability. Disk failures is quite common, and it gets really critical when we are short on deadlines. Does anyone have any experience with this? Why does it happen, and how can it be fixed?

Are the LaCie 5big just a bad product or is it just me?

Return to posts index

bryce arroyo
Re: LaCie 5big disk failure
on Jul 23, 2015 at 6:56:09 pm

Oscar,

The lacie 5 big RAIDS aren't a bad product but they do happen to fail often. IF you'd like call me at 714-519-8451. We can discuss other alternative products, you may like that are more efficient.

Bryce
Maxx Digital
714-374-4944

Return to posts index

Don Paco
on Jan 12, 2016 at 10:08:28 pm

are the lacie 5big thunderbolt 2 still too risky to buy? I wish reports were more encouraging after a few months of launching.
A 10TB TB2 may be what I can afford...the rest are a bit much...I guess I was lucky with my Lacie D2 v3 drives as even with 5 of them I didn't have any failures. Just tell me the truth!! thanks!
Prices are higher here in Canada.
Erick

Return to posts index

Oscar Birk
on Jan 13, 2016 at 9:40:19 am

I tried using third party disk utility software to format and setup the raid. It did help quite a bit for its stability. When formatted through the OS X disk utility it seems like the issues are more likely to happen.

This is no longer a concern tho, as we have changed gears over to AVID ISIS 5500
https://www.avid.com/US/products/ISIS5500

Return to posts index

erick Perdomo
on Jan 13, 2016 at 3:03:00 pm

thanks Oscar. That Avid RAID looks to be fantastic...I'm just getting started so a simpler one ought to be enough. I was considering the entry level Lacie 5big but it seems that the seagata drives are not reliable...is that what your experienced? When you say fail? You needed to replace them often? All drives fail at some point but I would hate it if they would start failing after a few months.
oh well. good to know.
thanks
e

Just an aspiring video producer..
Canon c100mk2, imac 27" late 2013

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]