FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best HD setup/storage solution for my computer/needs?

COW Forums : Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bobby Kay
Best HD setup/storage solution for my computer/needs?
on Jul 12, 2015 at 4:31:23 am

I just bought a refurb mid-2011 27" iMac 3.4GHz i7 16GB ram 256Gb SSD

My concern is the internal storage size and also proper allocation. So obviously installing OS and apps on the SSD. All media and projects (Adobe AE, PP, PS, Final Cut, Pro Tools media) are on external Firewire Glyph drives. So my understanding is it's ideal to have your disk cache on a separate and fast drive. Even if I wanted to keep it on the fast internal SSD, I'm concerned about the small capacity. The computer has 2 thunderbolt ports (both in use for extra monitors, but could open one if it'll improve performance), the one firewire port which has 3 glyph drives chained to it. And then 4 USB 2.0 ports which I imagine are useless.

One question I have is, my understanding is it's best to have the cache on separate drives from media so they can read/write simultaneously, but does that work if they are different drives chained off the same port?

Also, and obviously this is a lower priority, but considering where to store my iTunes library which I have previously always stored on the internal, but again , limited space!

Any and all guidance hugely appreciated! As always, trying to do this as reasonably priced as possible. There's a reason I had to buy a 2011 computer...

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Best HD setup/storage solution for my computer/needs?
on Jul 12, 2015 at 10:38:37 pm

put your disk cache on an external Thunderbolt SSD that you get from Other World Computing, which is cheap. All Thunderbolt products have looping input on them.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Daniel Fletcher
on Jul 31, 2015 at 4:49:42 pm

I dont see a single disk, external enclosure with thunderbolt passthrough anywhere.
Ive yet to see an elegant (read: bus powered) "in-line" ssd thunderbolt solution.
If you know of an available product/supplier cough it up!
If not, damn it Bob, wire one up for us!!
256GB, bus powered, thunderbolt SSD with looping/passthrough...

Hell OWC ought to just add ssd storage to their Thunderbolt 2 Dock and rename it the Thunderbolt 2 Cache Dock!

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jul 31, 2015 at 7:43:30 pm

why does it need to be buss powered ?
You are dealing with a large heavy RAID array -
products from Maxx Digital, Areca, G-Tech, Promise, OWC, Netstor, Highpoint all have looping thunderbolt ports. ALL OF THEM.

bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

bryce arroyo
on Aug 5, 2015 at 5:20:57 pm

Daniel,

If you're interested in a external inclosure like bob was stating with thunderbolt looping capabilities, feel free to give me a call.

Bryce
Maxx Digital
714-519-8451

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]