FORUMS: list search recent posts

video storage for a time capsule

COW Forums : Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jennifer White
video storage for a time capsule
on Jun 22, 2015 at 12:20:15 am

I'm putting together some video for a time capsule to be opened in 10 years

Any sooth-sayers among you who could advise me on the best bet for easily watchable video 10 years hence?

I'm thinking of a small solid state hard drive with a usb connection
and export the video from fcp as what? H264? Mp4?

format the drive FAT32?

Surely, even if we all have all our computer needs embedded in our forearms, there will still be available some sort of usb adaptor....

Thanks!
Jennifer

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: video storage for a time capsule
on Jun 22, 2015 at 9:40:54 pm

fat32 is a joke now.
In 10 years, everyone will say "what is fat32"
Of course, all of this is OLD SCHOOL - because you and your associates think that "time capsules" are just like the past (where you have a notebook, or a photo that you stick in a time capsule".

As of NOW - time capsules exist RIGHT NOW - but you and your associates don't like the concept.
It's called a CLOUD SITE. Here is how it works - you pay Apple (iCloud) or Amazon (S3) or Google (google drive) or DropBox, to store your Time Capsule information - and if YOU PAY THEM for the NEXT 10 YEARS, guess what - as technology changes - they will be sure to make sure that your "time capsule" information is easily accessible. This is the future for many companies (especially Apple) - to develop the trust for their users to PAY for iCloud, store all your music, photos, documents, etc. on their iCloud site, and PAY for it FOREVER, and rest assured, it will be there, at the click of a mouse (or touch screen) whenever you want it. They will take care of it for you, without you having to worry.

But you say "NO - I want to have a time capsule, so I can have someone in the future open it up and say "wow, look what they said 10 (or 20) years ago". Well TOO BAD - the game has changed - the big monster RICH companies want EVERYONE to have a "time capsule" (all their documents) - that is the BIG investment of the mega companies - to create a mega cloud site that you "trust" and will PAY for for the rest of your life - and their income will depend on you (and everyone else) paying for it FOREVER.
The cable companies (Comcast, Time Warner, etc.) are a beginners model of this. When "they" have billions of dollars in monthly subscription fees available, they will be happy to take your USB2 media and convert it to whatever exists in 2025 - because you (and everyone else) has paid for it for the last 10 years.

that's the future - and if you don't like it - well, too bad. That's the game today. I don't like it - but I recognize what's happening, and all the "big players" are in that game.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]