FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shareable Thunderbolt storage

COW Forums : Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Parker
Shareable Thunderbolt storage
on Mar 4, 2015 at 10:16:09 am

Hey guys,
I just received a newsletter from Accusys saying they'll be showing a shareable Thunderbolt storage at NAB this year.
The idea seems really cool, I think I'll go check it out during the show.
And they told me they'll also release a spec sheet and a video footage before NAB while I register for their giveaways.

For those who's also interested in it, here's the link to the newsletter https://madmimi.com/p/76e3f5#
and their webpage http://www.accusys.com.tw/products/thunderbolt-storage/a16t2-share-new.html

JP

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Shareable Thunderbolt storage
on Mar 5, 2015 at 1:49:40 am

Hi John -
this is the process.
You buy the storage from Accusys, which is a nice, fast product.
The format is QSFP, not Thunderbolt. This goes into a QSFP switch which also connects your client computers. Accusys is making a thunderbolt to QSFP adaptor called the C1M. This will plug into your thunderbolt port, and connect on the other end (via QSFP cable) to your Accusys switch (the SW16). This is a fast excellent product, but this is not Thunderbolt storage, and this requires adaptors for all of your Thunderbolt computers.

As you may be aware, there are Thunderbolt to Fiber and Thunderbolt to 10G adaptors on the market for other solutions as well.

Accusys is an excellent company with a very fast product, that is expandable.

Your post gives the impression that this is a Thunderbolt RAID array, that you plug your thunderbolt computers into. It is not.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

John Parker
on Mar 9, 2015 at 10:21:32 am

Hi Bob,
Thanks for reminding me that. I've checked with Accusys after reading your post. Here's their response. So this is truly exciting then!

"Hi John,
First of all, thank you for paying attention to the upcoming A16T2-Share.
I understand your concern and that for some who are already familiar with our former PCIe storage products to think it's another PCIe storage with a twist.
A16T2-Share is actually going to be a brand new Thunderbolt product line of Accusys ExaSAN that applies purely Thunderbolt interface. Addition to the performance of Thunderbolt 2.0, A16T2-Share is designed to change and makes sharing possible. This is why we know it'll be a product of great potential.
You can see it as a Thunderbolt storage that combines the functionality of a Thunderbolt SAN switch, which will allow you to form an actual Thunderbolt SAN. There'll be no C1M, nor any kinds of interface converter/adapter required. We'll be releasing a testing video footage later this month, you'll be informed with Accusys' newsletter & socail media platform blast."

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Mar 10, 2015 at 3:26:20 am

Let me assure you that Accusys is in my "top 20 " of NAB, and I will faint if this in not an internal C1M box inside the chassis to make it appear that it's a Thunderbolt interface, when in fact it is a Thunderbolt to QSFP adaptor. Hey - I could be wrong, but this is a 4 user interface, and not the QSFP switch that Accusys currently offers - so there is more to the story than you (or Accusys) is leading to -

we will see - that's why we go to the show. ]

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

John Parker
on Mar 12, 2015 at 6:04:44 am

Thanks again Bob.
I'm still very curious about how the product really is after reading their reply letter, so let's find out at the show.

JP

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Mar 12, 2015 at 8:48:35 pm

You will see me at the Accusys booth, looking at exactly this !

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]