FORUMS: list search recent posts

LTO-6 archive: copy Terminal command

COW Forums : Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kiki Muchtar
LTO-6 archive: copy Terminal command
on Feb 14, 2015 at 5:59:46 pm

Hi,

Due to budget limitation I plan to use LTFS to archive using LTO-6 system. Drag-and-drop a folder from an external HDD to an LTO tape seems not a good option in term of speed (take days to complete the copy process). So I have to use Terminal. I'm just a regular user, not a trained person to utilize UNIX command, please help me to do it right.

I want to copy a folder from an external HDD to an LTO tape that mounted on Desktop. The folder created in the LTO tape will use the same name as the source folder. Is the command below the correct one?

cp -r ~/Volumes/externalhddname/foldername /Volumes/LTOtapename/foldername

Thank you,
Kiki

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: LTO-6 archive: copy Terminal command
on Feb 16, 2015 at 2:58:32 pm

if you are not a trained person, how are you going to restore your data, or see your data on the LTO tape.
You need Tolis BRU or Imagine Products PreRoll Post. $499 is not too much money to ask, to make sure that your critical data is being archived correctly. How much is your data worth ?

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Kiki Muchtar
on Feb 18, 2015 at 3:29:57 pm

Hi Bob, I'm using a trial version of BRU PE right now. But sometimes it's crashed with no obvious reason. I also just found out that my mentor (an expert in film archiving from Swiss) doesn't use BRU PE anymore because he wasn't happy with the proprietary solution. He experienced incompatibility between Mac/Linux and Windows. So then I try using LTFS. If our company has to spend USD 499 for the software we need, so be it. But we don't have much money, hence we need to be very careful before we purchase anything.

Tim, spot on. I know it won't be easy for someone like me to use LTFS. Thank you for your comments and suggestions. Maybe next time I'll also ask something about BRU PE.

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on Feb 18, 2015 at 4:01:17 pm

[Kiki Muchtar] "He experienced incompatibility between Mac/Linux and Windows."

I am very curious about this statement as BRU is the ONLY product out there that uses the same archival container format, regardless of the platform. BRU also automatically handles platform differences (Windows "\" instead of Unix "/"), endianess issues, filesystem differences, and more.

I can follow the proprietary argument (even though I don't understand it based on how we operate), but his other statement is either (hopefully) a misunderstanding on his part, or (hopefully not) a statement designed to mislead others.

Also, if you are having crashing issues with BRU PE, we would really appreciate it if you would open a ticket at support.bru.com and describe what's occurring and what version of BRU PE you're using.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.tolisgroup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on Feb 17, 2015 at 4:27:31 pm

Kiki,

That command is correct, just keep in mind that there a lot of things that can go wrong using a simple "cp" command with tape as the destination. This is because "cp" has no way to deal with tape-related issues that may occur.

Just like you weren't "born" to your editing tools and had to learn them to be proficient, I recommend that you spare a bit of time to learn more about the Unix command line tools available on your Mac if you're going to enter this realm. I recommend this book to everyone looking to get a bit more familiar with the power that the command line brings to your Mac:

A Practical Guide to UNIX for Mac OS X Users by Mark Sobell. It provides a very easy to follow background to the Terminal.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.tolisgroup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]