CalDigit VR drive stutter
We are experiencing a reoccurring stutter / dropped frame issue with our CalDigit Drives. We have six 8TB CalDigit VR’s (2x 7200 RPM) configured as RAID 0 running different documentary projects. Editing in FCP 7 via ESATA. All footage is transcoded and cut in DVCPRO HD 720p60 with the exception of one newer project. These drives were purchased over a five year period with some of them being replaced by CalDigit within the past year for this very issue. All six drives stutter intermittently on playback, quickly catching up in the canvas viewer but sending our studio monitor out of sync. It is corrected by quickly hitting the space bar for playback. In a fifteen minute sequence we may hit the space bar three or four times to correct the problem.
The issue is present on both of our edit systems (outlined below) with all six drives:
• MAC PRO 5,1 / OSX 10.6.8 / 3.33 GHZ 6-CORE / 8 GB RAM
• PCI CARD - CALDIGIT 4 PORT SATA
• AJA KONA LH
• MAC PRO 1,1 / OSX 10.6.8 / 2.66 GHZ DUAL CORE INTEL XEON / 8 GB RAM
• PCI CARD #1 - CALDIGIT 4 PORT SATA
• PCI CARD #2 - CALDIGIT 2 PORT USB 3.0 / 2 PORT SATA
• AJA KONA LH
CalDigit support has exhausted all troubleshooting suggestions so we turn to you. Here is some more information and what we have done so far:
- All drives (scratch disks) are less than half full with 4 TB of media on average.
- We replaced drive internals w/ brand new 7200 RPM drives on two units.
- FCP project files are stored on a separate drive from media.
- Trashed FCP preferences, PRAM reset, all render files and re – rendered one project as a test.
- Quicktime Player playback of a self contained “Same as Source” .mov on VR drive displays stutter. (ruling out issue w/ FCP?)
- Ruled out issue w/ AJA Card by troubleshooting problem with their support and routing audio / video direct to Mac monitor and output.
- Aja system test on all drives displays random down spikes on "read" graph.
- Tested through USB 3.0, Fire 800 - same issue.
- Tested one drive on another editors system (Loaded IMAC) and stutter was present.
- Last week we purchased a G-TECH 8TB RAID (0G03240) comparable to the VR (2x 7200 RPM discs) and configured as RAID 0. It has not skipped or dropped frames once.
Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Anyone else experiencing this issue w/ their VR units? CalDigit tested one of our units and after a re-build they say the drive is performing at spec. They suggested we rebuild the directories on our other drives w/ Disk Warrior - we did, and the issue is still present. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.