FORUMS: list search recent posts

Raid For Multiple Edit Workstations

COW Forums : Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Clemens Fischer
Raid For Multiple Edit Workstations
on Aug 1, 2014 at 7:53:11 pm

Hi!

I am looking for a RAID system, which could be connected to 3 or more Mac workstations. Currently we are producing imageclips under time pressure, so i would appreciate to have the footage on one raid and access from all Mac Pro's and MacBook Pro's at the same time (access on footage only - not the project files).

The footage is mostly XDCAM HD. We are still working on FCP7 (will change to FCPX, Premiere or some other solution, soon). We are tired of copying the footage from the capture Mac via LAN to the editing Macs (which are all equiped with an internal raid of 3 WD VelociRaptor harddisks).. that takes far too much time. As a cheap solution we tried to use a WD Live harddisk, but this is muct too slow. Copying the footage directly via LAN from the capture workstation to the edit Mac's is faster, but we would prefer one main storage with access for all edit workstations.

We have a target for the price limit of around 3.000 - 5.000 USD (including around 5TB of capacity). Is there a good working, easy setup solution on the market?

Thanks a lot for your feedback!
Clemens

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Raid For Multiple Edit Workstations
on Aug 1, 2014 at 9:44:13 pm

there is no such thing as a drive array that can connect to multiple computers. Period. No matter what your budget it. You can have a NAS (network attached storage), or a SAN (shared area network). This means that you will connect one of these products (discussed every damn day on Creative Cow) to a switch (no, not the $80 Netgear switch at Office Depot or Staples), and connect to the Ethernet ports of your computers that you want to use for shared storage.

If you expect to play back video from this shared drive, you must have a multiport ethenret card, or a 10G Ethernet card, or a fibre channel system implemented in this configuration.

While you see forums and banner ads from countless companies that advertise right here on Creative Cow (you are looking at them right now), that make exactly what you need - you may say "well, isn't there something cheaper that I can get". So you look at companies like QNAP, Synology and Other World Computing. These three companies make wonderful shared NAS drives, and their products (when you are done) are over your budget. The $600 QNAP NAS is NOT going to provide you with shared video storage. However, QNAP and Synology and Other World Computing (and lots of other companies that appear on Creative Cow every day) make solutions for under $10,000 that will do exactly what you want.

But you now say "but I only have $3000 - what can I do for $3000" -
I have a simple answer for you - NOTHING - you can't have shared storage - period.

Even if Thunderbolt networking worked (and it does not work), you would need a new Mac Pro ($3000) and a big disk drive array, and Corning Optiocal cables to your Thunderbolt Mac's to get this to work. So once again, we exceed your budget.

Sorry - no shared storage for you.

Bob Zelin
ps - Studio Network Solutions has a $4700 solution for 4 users, but this $4700 solution is not expandable, and does not include the drives in that price. And no, Drobo does not make anything - nor do they claim to make anything that does video shared storage.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Clemens Fischer
on Aug 1, 2014 at 10:19:38 pm

Thank you very much for your answer and your time, Bob!
I appreciate it very much to get a professional answer like yours.

2 more questions:

1. I have read about the "Final Share 10G". I have a 2x2,66 Ghz 6-Core Intel Xeon Mac Pro with 64GB and very fast internal Raid. Could it be possible to use that Mac Pro as a "server" and buy a 10Gig ethernet NIC Card and the special switch? If yes, do you know the price? And: Does it make sense to use the system without the described RAID?

2. The Studio Networt Solutions 4700 USD solution would be ok for us, if it's easy to setup and use. Any experience with that?

Best regards,
Clemens

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Aug 2, 2014 at 5:10:37 pm

The Studio Network Solutions Prodigy comes standard with four 1G Ethernet ports. You must add drives to this system. Typically a dealer will assist you (for a fee) to make this work for you, and to show you how to use it. Most companies like Studio Network Solutions offer support contracts, that will allow you to contact them, to ask questions, and help you with problems that you encounter.

I am unfamiliar with dealers in Austria that sell any of these systems, however.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Clemens Fischer
on Feb 14, 2016 at 2:53:34 pm

Hello Bob!

Just wanted to update our old conversation:

Since 4 Weeks we use a QNAP TVS-871 in combination with Myricom RJ45 in our "old" MacPro's and the Sonnet Twin 10G Thunderbolt2 Dual-Port 1 for our MacBook Pro's.

It works fantastic. We reach around 1000 MB tranfer-rate.

Best,
Clemens

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]