FORUMS: list search recent posts

Choosing a Raid Card for NA333TB

COW Forums : Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Mole
Choosing a Raid Card for NA333TB
on Jul 8, 2014 at 4:04:22 pm

Hello all,

I'm currently setting up a NA333TB with (4) 4TB drives either for raid 10 or raid 5 and plan to add drives in the future.

I'm using the NA333TB as DAS on OS X and then once it fills up move it to SAN or NAS environment. I'd get another DAS at that point.

My thought was to buy a raid card for the DAS as something like the RocketRAID 2740. My assumption is that using it in a DAS environment I wouldn't need the higher performance of a more expensive card. There is a possibility of having 2 more computers work off of this server in a few years but until then it's just connected to and serving one work station.

I'm wondering if there's anyone with more experience on this that could add any useful info regarding the technicals of this current plan and if the RocketRAID 2740 is a better choice for cost vs performance than the Areca 1882ix-16 in a DAS one workstation setup.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Choosing a Raid Card for NA333TB
on Jul 8, 2014 at 10:09:33 pm

Hi -
I am about to try the NA381TB with the Highpoint card for the very first time. I am awaiting the card right now. I have used this product (the NA333TB) with the Areca ARC-1882ix-16, and I assure you it works wonderfully. But I am very anxious to see how the Highpoint 2740 card works - if it will do the same thing, and if it creates the RAID properly.

NOW - as for four drives - I don't care what system you buy, if you are setting up shared storage, and you expect to do shared HD editing, 4 drive spindles is simply not enough to support shared storage. I built a system about 2 years ago with a Stardom 8 bay chassis, and only 4 drives, using the ATTO R380 card in a Mac Pro host. 4 drives cause stutter in the video. I don't care if the theoretical bandwidth is 300 - 400 MB/sec, and you are only doing 20 - 30 MB/sec per stream. It don't work. You want a reliable system - buy 8 drives, and you will have no issues. End of story. I don't care whose card you use.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Joe Mole
on Jul 9, 2014 at 7:05:10 pm

Thanks for the info Bob.

By the time this setup would become shared storage it would have 8 drives. Right now it is being used soley at one workstation. The assumption I'm making is that once I setup the raid I could add drives to the existing raid, for example expanding the Raid 10 with 4 drives to having 8 drives and ultimately into the 16 drives which the NA333tb allows. The reason for this is I don't have the additional cash in the proposed budget to buy 8 drives.

Return to posts index

Simon Blackledge
on Jul 11, 2014 at 10:58:31 am

Highpoint Bob! .. >Shiver...<

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jul 11, 2014 at 1:29:17 pm

Hi Simon -
what I have learned over the years, is that the companies that are able to stay in business for a long time, eventually learn their lesson. I saw the new Highpoint stuff at NAB 2014, and they have a relationship with Netstor, so I am going to give it a shot, and see what happens. I will certainly let you know. While I love Areca, it's nice to know that you don't have to "keep all your eggs in one basket".

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]