FORUMS: list search recent posts

Internal RAID0 on Mac Pro (2010) (Video)

COW Forums : Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jesse Hayward
Internal RAID0 on Mac Pro (2010) (Video)
on Jun 24, 2014 at 3:52:37 pm

Hello all,

Long time viewer, first time poster. Just want to say you guys have been first on the list for all of my educational/troubleshooting purposes over the past few years. Forgive me if this is in the wrong location.

At my job, I have just opted to go from doing preprint graphics & web to video (employer is excited and is paying me to train on the job as well). I am a beginner and have been learning at a great rate thanks to all of the online resources out there.I have found my strongest interest is in hardware as I used to be a freelance IT guy. All of the work is done via Premiere and After Effects with a fair amount of dynamic linking if I am feeling adventurous. 50-50 of DSLR HD footage and simple motion graphics.

At work I do all of my editing on a sweet thunderbolt setup. At home, where I actually get most of my work done, I have a 2010 Mac Pro which is used mostly for rendering. Right now the machine has some parts coming its way and I was curious about a RAID setup. I got the machine at a great price and know I can get a few more years of editing HD footage. Especially since my 1st gen Mac Pro with OS X SL still does 1080p in FCP 7 very well.

Specs:
It's a mid 2010
12 Core
32GB Ram
ATI 5870 card, Quadro 4000 coming in a few weeks.

In the optical drive bay I have a 512GB SSD for OS and a 2TB Hitachi for Time Machine backups. I have 4 1TB WD blacks coming, got them, unused, from a friend for free.

I have heard many bad things about Apple's onboard RAID controller and things like heat, overstress, etc. But I still see a machine that, for a very small cost, can be extremely useful with 6 SATA 3 connections. Would it be smarter (for rendering throughput) allocating a drive for each component, such as in the first example below?

Optical drive bay disks for OS & TM backups as before but in the 4 drive bays below:

1: Media
2: Cache
3: Project Files
4: Exports

Or option 2:

Optical drive bays disks for OS & TM backups as before but in the 4 drive bays below:

RAID 0 (Disks 1&2) : Project Files & Media
RAID 0 (Disks 3&4) : Exports

External FW800 Disk 1 : Cache

It seems, at least in common sense, that the simpler configs are the more reliable ones. But the idea is to get throughput to get my CPU usage as close to its cap as possible. Right now I get about 55-65% at bottleneck of current storage config / ATI card. Currently, the 2TB Hitachi is enough for project backups but by Black Friday I hope to find a eSata/iSCSi dummy box for handling all my TM backups.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. I know this setup is outdated, but at work I am all ThunderBolt and will eventually move that system home as a new upgrade comes around. The Mac Pro will turn into a Server/Headless rendering machine.

Thank you very much!

Jesse

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Internal RAID0 on Mac Pro (2010) (Video)
on Jun 24, 2014 at 7:05:14 pm

as long as you don't have the "Apple RAID card" which was a piece of junk, you can simply stick your 4 drives into your Mac Pro and go to work. If you simply use the Apple Disk Utility to create a RAID 0, just remember that all drive today, including Western Digital Blacks, have a high failure rate, and you risk losing your media - so make sure to back up. The more drives in your RAID 0, the more risk you have of losing more media - but of course, with the RAID 0 on multiple drives, you get better performance.

Nothing wrong with your 2010 5,1 Mac Pro.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Jesse Hayward
on Jun 24, 2014 at 9:02:48 pm

Thanks, Bob!

Would running 2 RAID 0s as "In" and "Out" RAIDs for rendering be a good idea? Also, do you mean that drives today have a higher failure rate than previous gens, or that they are just as unreliable as ever? Thankfully, I am already pretty paranoid!

Am I going to see a bottleneck at all just running the 4 disks JBOD?

Jesse

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jun 25, 2014 at 12:01:47 am

you must live your life paranoid. You should go to sleep every night, with a sick feeling in your stomach - "will my media be there tomorrow morning - will by boss fire me - will my clients never use me ever again". If you don't live your life this way (destined to have ulcer surgery one day), then you don't belong in the video business.

You seem determined to use your FREE WD Caviar Black drives in the most efficient way, so that you dont' have to spend one penny. what can I say. The more drives you have running in a RAID 0, the better the speed you will get. But the greater the risk that you have of losing your data. Want better piece of mind - buy an external drive array, that will cost you MONEY. Want to spend less - run on single drives, and back up. Want to have good performance, and still have piece of mind - BACK UP.
there are no miracle answers. You backup or one day, you will lose your media. This applies to everyone on Creative Cow. There is no "what is the best thing I can buy, so that I never have to worry about this" - the answer is NOTHING. You MUST back up to something, or one day, you will be screwed.

Bob zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

M. Venom
on Jun 26, 2014 at 5:37:33 pm

You can keep the Cache on your Export drive, firewire 800 is going to cause a bottleneck on your system. In Past Experience Hitachi drives have been known to die pretty awful deaths, As for the Western Digital Blacks, they are fast and reliable but only work with RAID if they are the older models, newer firmware on the WD Blacks are know for drop outs and disk failure when in the RAID Configuration, this is b/c WD has released their REDS which are specially for RAID and NAS Applications (google WD Blacks in RAID it will confirm). For Maximum Output I would sell all the drives and Get SSDs (triple the speed of WD Blacks), they are really cheap now for my raid drives, would increase the airflow in you Mac Pro so less heat, processor and graphic card fan noise and then a 4tb Western digital $99 at Microcenter for backup.

"Do Not Under Estimate the Power of The Darkside

Return to posts index

Jesse Hayward
on Jun 26, 2014 at 7:41:22 pm

Bob, thanks for the advice. I always appreciate advice based on professional experience. Maybe video isn't for me, don't have much of a choice, though, because I work for my Dad and have no backbone.

Thanks for the reply, Venom.

I really like this machine. Contrary to what Bob thinks I have implied, I will spend a ton of money for a quality build (otherwise I would have built a hackintosh long ago). As soon as I get this disk situation figured out I am planning to get a Quadro 4k and maybe even 48GB of RAM. Although, it seems like maybe I should hold off because I apparently have a knack of getting the wrong hardware.

With a little research it seems that these blacks will sell for like 30-50 bucks each. I guess for that price I would rather keep them and throw them in my old Mac Pro or Xserve or something. I have read (perhaps incorrectly/from bad sources) that the Mac Pro's internal RAID controller doesn't work with multiple SSDs. Is this the case?

Jesse

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]