FORUMS: list search recent posts

Alexa XT and LTO5 project

COW Forums : Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Intile
Alexa XT and LTO5 project
on Jun 20, 2014 at 3:50:59 am

I am working on a film in a remote location in South America. The production is really set on shooting ARRI RAW with the Alexa XT. Normally I would have my DIT cart with readers and RAID set up. I usually work on short form commercial work in an American city with many resources, etc. I offload my Raw with proxies onto my drives and it goes straight to editorial. This film is a little bit different its a lower budget independent film that can "afford" the Arri RAW in production but I feel once they get to post they are going to have some issues.

Firstly, I am looking for an elegant system with the least variables the better. Given the calculations of footage I estimated I will be acquiring around 40+TBs of raw footage. In a perfect world I figured using the dual LTO5 deck on the Vault system to archive the raw is a good idea. Keep one with us and send one off back to civilization in the US. I can handle the editorial proxy files on smaller external disks but I feel trying to secure the RAW on RAID sets will be a nightmare given power fluctuations(which would be a problem either way) and also having less moving parts while I am down there.

My big concern is that once the client gets back with all of the archived tapes. How costly and a custom is the conforming process of bringing footage online from the LTO5? Especially if we are talking 30 plus tapes.

That makes me think They Should NOT shoot ArriRAW but I want to try to give them the best options without compromising anything where they can take it in the right direction. The latitude and the image quality is important to the story being told with many low light situations.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Alexa XT and LTO5 project
on Jun 20, 2014 at 12:53:17 pm

MLogic MTape running PreRoll Post from Imagine Products. One little thunderbolt cable connection.
How simple can you make this ?

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]