FORUMS: list search recent posts

How do you find out which power supply belongs to which drive?

COW Forums : Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Clements
How do you find out which power supply belongs to which drive?
on May 30, 2014 at 9:31:14 am

Hi,

I've been wondering about this for a long time. You're doing several different edits at once....swapping drives around. Your power supply gets separated from your drive (or rather your client's drive) There doesn't seem to be any way to figure out which power supply goes with which drive. And it's very unprofessional to give the client's drive back with a different power supply than the one he gave you. How do you figure out which supply goes with which drive?

Film Editor, London UK
http://www.scottclementseditor.com

Return to posts index

Jon Schilling
Re: How do you find out which power supply belongs to which drive?
on May 30, 2014 at 4:28:19 pm

Color coded tape on the back of the drive & the PSU?

Jonathan Schilling
Senior Sales Manager
Proavio Storage by Enhance Technology Inc.
12221 Florence Ave.
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
Dir: 562-777-3498
Main: 562-777-3488 X106
Fax: 562-777-3499
Email: jon@proavio.com

Return to posts index

Scott Clements
on May 30, 2014 at 4:54:44 pm

Thanks, Jon.

Obviously one must think ahead in order prevent this sort of thing and I will be sure to use tape in future. However, for situations where one has forgotten to apply tape, I was hoping there was some way of matching power supply serial/model number with the serial/model of the drive on the net. I'm really surprised that none of the adaptors are branded by the drive manufacturers. I've got tons of my own drives that have had their power supplies switched around and now I'm not sure which supply came with each drive. Since I own them all, it's not that huge of a problem, but it is an issue when using drives supplied by others.

Film Editor, London UK
http://www.scottclementseditor.com

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on May 31, 2014 at 5:35:17 pm

Brother labeling tool. I label everything. The Brother costs me $18 US, and it's paid for itself 100 times over (it's now 5 years old and still working). You have to be careful, as different manufacturers use different plugs, or different voltages, and you can accidentally blow up someones drive (or anything else that uses an external power supply) if you plug in the wrong thing.

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
maxavid@cfl.rr.com

Return to posts index

Steve Modica
on Jun 8, 2014 at 12:21:30 pm

Businesses that integrate products are extremely narrow and focused. One huge advantage of having external power is the ability to avoid UL listing and certification. You get to drop that on the power supply manufacturer. (and you can't relabel their power supply because it was tested under their name).

I agree that it would be wonderful if vendors all branded their power supplies :)

Mostly, I just make sure the output and polarity matches my device. Vendors *are* very good at putting these labels on and ever since I blew up my electronic dartboard many years ago, I'm always very careful.

Steve

Steve Modica
CTO, Small Tree Communications

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]