FORUMS: list search recent posts

G-Speed Q failed - LED-Alarm

COW Forums : Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Franz Hollweck
G-Speed Q failed - LED-Alarm
on May 5, 2014 at 5:56:44 pm

Hello everybody.,

I am a German photographer . My G-Speed Q (4 x 2 TB, RAID 5, HFS+) failed last week. It never had shown a malfunction. Even when it has died, all lLEDs were lit blue.
I turned it off - and on again. Now, one LED showed an amber light - for the Failure of this hard drive.. and the left LED below the hard drives was flashing red, that means the failure of one of the internal components.
I wonder, whether this is related to the failure of the hard drive.

I contacted the support of G-Technolgy, but didn’t get an answer.

So I ask you: is a the flashing red LED in conjunction with the amber lit LED normal, when a hard drive has failed?

I’d like to make a rebuild, but I don’t know, whether the enclosure is still okay: The G-Sped Q was visible in the disk utility, but it didn’t mount, it didn’t appear in the Finder anymore.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Franz

Return to posts index

Gene Gilbert
Re: G-Speed Q failed - LED-Alarm
on May 7, 2014 at 8:09:03 pm

Hi Franz,

Thanks for your post. Which enclosure light is illuminated? Do the lights blink in an alternating sequence between the amber drive light and the red enclosure light? If so it is indicating an array rebuild. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Gene Gilbert
g-technology.com

Return to posts index

Franz Hollweck
on May 7, 2014 at 11:19:49 pm

Hi Gene,

there is a support for G-Technoloy-products here? - What surprise!!!
Okay, once again:
My G-Speed Q died - but all the LEDs were lit blue - the sign, that everything is in order.

I shut it down and restarted it and now one of the hard drives was lit in continuous amber light, the other LEDs for the hard drives were lit blue.
But there was also the red blinking enclosure light.

I looked into the manual, but there is no description of such an incident. So, I telephoned the support in Frankfurt, but they couldn’t help me. I wanted to konw, whether the red enclosure light means a damage of the enclosure, too and what hard drive I could use, to replace the damaged one. I emailed them twice, but I received no answer, that helped me.

I didn’t replace the hard drive yet. Just now I started a new trial. Now the the LEDs blink in the way, you described. But the G-Speed Q is not connected to the computer.
Perhaps it has started a rebuild - with a damaged (!?) hard drive?
I will see tomorrow, what happens.

Franz

Return to posts index

Franz Hollweck
on May 8, 2014 at 9:38:02 am

Hi Gene,

The G-Speed Q now runs more than ten hours, obviously trying to rebuild the RAID 5 array. There were about 3,2 TB data on it.
The G-Speed Q had started this process automatically when I started it, to have a look at the behavior of the LEDs
It was not connected with the computer and the defective hard drive was installed.

What to do now?
Does it really rebuild my RAID 5 array with the broken hard drive in it?
Or can I / should I turn it off, replace the hard drive, and then start a rebuild again, in the way, that is documented in the manual?

I have ordered a new hard drive. Can I replace it while the G-Speed Q is running?

Thank you for your answer.

Franz

Return to posts index

Gene Gilbert
on May 8, 2014 at 7:46:39 pm

Hi Franz,

Keep the unit running when you replace the drive, it should go into a rebuild automatically. Could you send me a photo of the front of the unit so I can see the light conditions. My email is eugene.gilbert@hgst.com

Regards,

Gene Gilbert
g-technology.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]