FORUMS: list search recent posts

Netstor na381tb raid enclosure - update

COW Forums : Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert P. Dennis
Netstor na381tb raid enclosure - update
on Apr 23, 2014 at 7:48:09 pm

Following my previous posts, I received my new 2013 Mac Pro, switched from my Mac mini using the thunderbolt cable, and the na381tb raid worked/works perfectly with the Mac Pro.

I then received a new thunderbolt 2 card from Netstor and easily inserted it into the na381tb enclosure, in which I now have 2 internal and one external raid working seamlessly.

The new setup is incredibly fast and reliable. I have gotten speeds of up to 1.1 GB/s, which is more than adequate for my needs.

Comment: the speeds obtained vary with the type of file (particularly windows files). To obtain the best speeds, the powers that be will need to initiate a new standard for SATA ( Sata 4 ? ) hard drives????

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Netstor na381tb raid enclosure - update
on Apr 23, 2014 at 10:51:11 pm

Hi Robert -
1.1 GB/sec is 1126 MB/sec. We too have seen between 1100 - 1200 MB/sec with the Netstor chassis, and are very happy with this product. HOWEVER, even with SATA 4 drives, you are not going to get a Thunderbolt 2 product to do more than 1375 MB/sec - Only Intel controls this power !

Following Lacie's trick at the NAB show, we too took two TBolt 2 chassis (8 bay) and striped them together (both RAID 0 which we would normally NEVER do, but I wanted to push what I could get for results), and used Apple Disk Utility to RAID 0 these two Tbolt 2 arrays, and we got 2000 MB/sec. Now, this is unrealistic, and I would NEVER sell a configuration like this, because of potential data loss, but it did work, and we did "fake out" the Thunderbolt 2 speed limit. So what does this mean - ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, but it was a fun trick.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
maxavid@cfl.rr.com

Return to posts index

haris katsigiannis
on Jul 12, 2015 at 11:02:12 am

Hello bob,

what do you think it would be the best configuration for the NA381TB, to run faster (read/write) ?

Have any ideas since you have installed some of these?

Return to posts index

Simon Blackledge
on May 23, 2014 at 12:14:46 pm

What were you getting from the Mac mini ?

Return to posts index

Robert P. Dennis
on May 23, 2014 at 4:32:20 pm

Hi simon-

Up to 750 MG/s which is the limit for sata3.

Bob

Return to posts index

Simon Blackledge
on May 23, 2014 at 9:43:38 pm

Sata3 ? Seems at 750MBs you saturated the thunderbolt 1 port no?

Not sure what sata3 has to do with it ?

Still think TB2 will be the bottleneck if you filled the 24bays with ultrastars and connected them to a 6 (now 12) GB Areca raid card.

Nice setup though. I do like the netstors we have.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]