FORUMS: list search recent posts

Looking for an SSD Raid0 Solution

COW Forums : Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
William Edwards
Looking for an SSD Raid0 Solution
on Aug 11, 2013 at 11:17:27 pm

Hello,

I'm looking to RAID0 SSD drives for high sequential read/write speeds for Davinci Resolve. I have a PC, and tried connecting Sata to the MOBO but it just wasn't doing it. I can't find any good solutions for Raid cards out there for PC's as well; seems like most of them just run too hot.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks!

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
Re: Looking for an SSD Raid0 Solution
on Aug 12, 2013 at 12:18:18 am

Have you tried Areca 1882x?

Also, describe this a little more: how many SSDs are you looking to stripe and what speeds do you need or want to achieve.

(If you're striping less than 10 SSDs, you may not necessarily need a RAID card, just a good SAS/SATA controller or HBA that has good bandwidth to the CPU; striping can be done in the OS with good speeds.)

Return to posts index

William Edwards
on Aug 12, 2013 at 1:25:47 am

I was thinking just 2 SSDs right now, the Samsung 840 Pro 512 GB, and possibly an option to make it into 4 total. I'm looking to achieve close to, if not, 1000 mbs speeds of sequential read/write. I need this in a solution that I can keep everything in the box for now (as I occasionally pack up my system for transport, I'd like to keep things simple). Pricing for a raid solution outside of the box seems more than I want to spend at the moment (I think it's going to be around 5k is what my research tells me), and I don't have a lot of space to keep another unit at home (nor do I want a large server thing that will sound like a jet engine and heat up my whole place).

Thanks for the link, I will take a look at that. if you have any more suggestions, it would be much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
on Aug 12, 2013 at 4:33:31 am

[William Edwards] " I need this in a solution that I can keep everything in the box for now"

In a box that is external to the computer? Or inside the PC?

Also, two 6G SSDs won't sustain 1GB/s. They may hit it here and there but won't do it consistently. It should be at least three, on 6G SATA ports of course. I'd stripe them in Windows, test speeds - if you get over 1.2GB/s, that should be good enough. If not, get something like this Addonics unit and perhaps Startech SATSAS425BK.

(Too bad 12G SATA/SAS and NVMe SSDs aren't here yet - those would have made it easier to get to 1GB/s w/o too much pain.)

Alex Gerulaitis
Systems Engineer
DV411 - Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

William Edwards
on Aug 12, 2013 at 1:16:23 pm

Sorry I wasn't clear, when I said in the box I meant in the PC and nothing external.

That's good to know what I would need to reach 1gbs. I was thinking I'd have 2 for now, and later on expand.

I looked at those products you linked, and I was surprised about the price. Most solutions seem to be in the thousands of dollars. Does that Startech work just by plugging one cable into a 6gbs port on the Mobo? And the Addonics unit, looks like one cable goes out from the card and plugs into however many drives that you have? This is what I've been looking for. Thanks so much.

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
on Aug 12, 2013 at 7:59:47 pm

[William Edwards] "I looked at those products you linked, and I was surprised about the price. Most solutions seem to be in the thousands of dollars."

Most solutions are in the thousands? Are we reading the same posts? :)

The two from my last post are under $300 for both. High-end RAID controllers (Areca, ATTO units) are indeed around $800, yet some of LSI and Areca models can be had for under $400. HBAs (no RAID) run $200-400. The Addonics unit is under $200, and is likely one of the cheapest HBA there is.

[William Edwards] "Does that Startech work just by plugging one cable into a 6gbs port on the Mobo?"

That one doesn't directly - does with an adapter cable - it plugs directly into the Addonics unit. They do have a model that does (plug directly into the motherboard with simple SATA cables).

That said, you don't need any of this stuff to try it. Open the case, put three SSDs on a piece of anti-static plastic somewhere, connect them to mobo's 6G SATA ports, run some tests. If it works, you could then get something to mount them better.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]