FORUMS: list search recent posts

USB 3.0 PCI card - Highpoint vs Cal Digit

COW Forums : Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Blum
USB 3.0 PCI card - Highpoint vs Cal Digit
on Feb 19, 2014 at 2:54:26 am

I need to purchase 8 USB 3.0 PCI cards for different Mac Pro Towers. After doing a little research, it seems like Cal Digit and Highpoint are the two best. I was wondering if anybody can recommend a specific one or has any information that can useful.

The macPro towers we have range from 2008 -2010 and run everything from 10.6 - 10.8

The main use of these ports is to transfer data quicker than the firewire 800 ports.

The drives we use are G-tech and G-Raids with the Usb 3.0 ports.

Also, can someone tell me what the different Pci ports inside the MacPro towers do? One says 4x/raid, one says 4x and one says 16x.

thanks

Return to posts index

Eric Hansen
Re: USB 3.0 PCI card - Highpoint vs Cal Digit
on Feb 19, 2014 at 4:31:50 pm

I went with the CalDigit FASTA-6GU3 because it had both USB3 and eSATA on the same card. I have noticed that there are sleep/wake issues with the USB3 ports, but i havent been able to figure out if its the card or the drives I'm using. Other than that, it works great and I have quite a few clients using them too. I see there's a new Pro version. I have the older one.

the top slop marked 4x/RAID is for Apple's RAID card, if you have it (it's a piece of junk). Otherwise both the top slots at 4x speed are the same. any PCIe cards you put in these slots will run at a max of 4x speed. the Caldigit card is 4x. the 2 bottom slots are 16x and run at a max speed of 16x, but can handle any card. these would be for high speed cards such as graphics, SAS/Fiber storage, Red Rocket, etc.

e

Eric Hansen
Production Workflow Designer / Consultant / Colorist / DIT
http://www.erichansen.tv

Return to posts index

Kevin Blum
on Feb 19, 2014 at 7:05:01 pm

Gotcha! thanks for the input.

Return to posts index

Eric Hansen
on Feb 19, 2014 at 7:17:32 pm

it looks like the Caldigit FASTA-6GU3 Pro needs a minimum of 10.7

not sure if all the cards will be like that, but I wouldn't be surprised if USB3 has issues on an OS that old

e

Eric Hansen
Production Workflow Designer / Consultant / Colorist / DIT
http://www.erichansen.tv

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]