FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shared video storage - who's using what?

COW Forums : Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alison Huckett
Shared video storage - who's using what?
on Feb 18, 2014 at 9:37:48 am

Hello,

We are replacing our EditShare soon and are considering alternatives such as Small Tree's Titanium Z-8, SNS Evo 5 and GB Labs Midi Space.

If anyone has had any experience (good or bad) with using any of these systems, I would really like to know your thoughts. Hearing from people who have actually been using them, rather than taking the sales mans word, is invaluable.

We edit on FCP 7 at the moment, using ProRes but are likely to move over to Premiere once we are settled with a new system. There are 5 stations to be connected to the server over a 1GB ethernet - although we may upgrade to 10GBe in the near future.

I'd be interested to know what everyone else is using too, as there might be something I've not thought about.

Many thanks

Return to posts index

Brian McNew
Re: Shared video storage - who's using what?
on Feb 19, 2014 at 5:12:46 pm

We're using a Titanium 16 from Small Tree. 3 stations on the 10GBe and 5-7 more using 1GB (mostly office machines but a couple logging stations). I'd highly recommend the 10GBe, video editing can feel a bit sluggish over 1GB, but maybe that's just after using the 10GBe. Customer service from Small Tree is outstanding. Talk to Alan Butler, he won't steer ya wrong.

Return to posts index

Alison Huckett
on Feb 20, 2014 at 10:43:32 am

Thats great to hear, thank you so much for replying.

Can I ask, how long have you had the system for? And what codec do you mainly work with?

Return to posts index

Brian McNew
on Feb 20, 2014 at 3:32:24 pm

We have had the system for just over a year. We record a lot of DPX but the raw never hits the SAN, we always transcode to ProRes.

Return to posts index

Craig Bentley
on May 29, 2015 at 11:36:26 pm

Alison, just wondering which system you ended up going with, and why did you get away from Editshare? Thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]