FORUMS: list search recent posts

Thinking about upgrading main 7,200 drive to ssd

COW Forums : Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anthony Bernard
Thinking about upgrading main 7,200 drive to ssd
on Feb 17, 2014 at 10:56:05 am

So I have been thinking about upgrading my system with an internal ssd instead of my 1tb 7200rpm drive. I know people that have put them in their laptops and the performance bump when editing is quite noticeable. My only thought is that I won't see THAT big of a performance bump since all my media/render files are usually stored on my external fw800 drives. Here are my specs/software:

Hardware:
Intel i7 3770 3.4gHz quad core
32gb 4x8gb 1600mHz RAM
EVGA 2gb Nvidia 660 Graphics card

Software:
Adobe Master Collection CS5 (Premiere Pro 5.5)
Final Cut 7
Mac OSX 10.8.5

Do you think I will really see a performance by dropping the money on a ssd? I have been looking at the Samsung Pro series drives as they seem to have pretty solid performance/reviews, but would I see better performance putting money into something else or would the ssd give me the most bang for my buck for my situation?

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Return to posts index

Eric Hansen
Re: Thinking about upgrading main 7,200 drive to ssd
on Feb 18, 2014 at 3:45:51 pm

I put SSDs in every computer I work on because it makes a huge difference:

- boot times
- app launching
- email searching
- Spotlight searching

that being said, when you're actually in the NLE and editing, it will make very little difference since the software is loaded and your media is on other drives. So i buy SSDs not to speed up my editing, but to speed up everything else.

btw, switching from FW800 to eSATA or SAS for your media couldl make a huge difference depending on your drive setup and codecs.

e

Eric Hansen
Production Workflow Designer / Consultant / Colorist / DIT
http://www.erichansen.tv

Return to posts index

Anthony Bernard
on Feb 18, 2014 at 9:17:15 pm

Yea, thats what I figured. I do have 2 hotswap bays built into my tower so I may just invest the money in 3 normal hard drives and do an internal raid setup with a backup drive I can swap out to storage when it's full. I do really like the idea of running solid state, but for right now I think I might wait until prices of the 512gb Samsung Pro series drop a little bit. Thanks for the input Eric!

Return to posts index

Eric Hansen
on Feb 18, 2014 at 9:57:05 pm

No worries, glad to help.

Since the SSD only has the OS and apps and other small things, you can go smaller. My grading system uses a 120GB SSD. If i was getting a new one, i would go with 240GB so I could have more space for my 100GB Dropbox. Thats more than enough space for me and keeps my backups smaller.

e

Eric Hansen
Production Workflow Designer / Consultant / Colorist / DIT
http://www.erichansen.tv

Return to posts index

Anthony Bernard
on Feb 18, 2014 at 10:45:51 pm

Very good point Eric. That will probably save me money on pointless space when I do pick one up.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]