FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mavericks Server AFP vs SMB2

COW Forums : Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Morten Ranmar
Mavericks Server AFP vs SMB2
on Jan 8, 2014 at 7:55:35 pm

Apples new server software defaults to SMB2 for file sharing, but while this is great for Windows clients, I experience trouble on Mac Mavericks clients with multiple file copying, and refreshing finder windows.

- No Parking Production -

Adobe CC, 3 x MacPro, 3 x MbP, Ethernet File Server w. Areca ThunderRaid 8.... and FCPX on trial

Return to posts index

Chris Murphy
Re: Mavericks Server AFP vs SMB2
on Jan 8, 2014 at 11:10:53 pm

How does it manifest? And do you get any relevant console messages on either server or client?

Return to posts index

Morten Ranmar
on Jan 9, 2014 at 1:19:43 pm

No warnings whatsoever.

Adobe CC, 3 x MacPro, 3 x MbP, Ethernet File Server w. Areca ThunderRaid 8.... and FCPX on trial

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jan 27, 2014 at 7:54:33 pm

Hi Morten -
please remind me again of exactly how you are doing shared storage. Are you using a 6 port 1GbE card, and you updated this to Mavericks ?

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
maxavid@cfl.rr.com

Return to posts index

Morten Ranmar
on Jan 27, 2014 at 8:42:08 pm

Hi Bob - yes there is a new "Thunderbolt aware" driver for the SmallTree cards. We use the PEG6 card in a Thunderbolt expansion box. Works like a charm.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jan 27, 2014 at 9:54:20 pm

but you are now having speed issues across the Mavericks AFP network with this card. I would contact Small Tree directly , and ask them.
There are no issues with Mac to Mac AFP network speeds (about 100 MB/sec) over a 1GbE network.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
maxavid@cfl.rr.com

Return to posts index

Morten Ranmar
on Jan 27, 2014 at 10:48:28 pm

Hi Bob - actually we only have speed issues with Mavericks clients that connect directly to the MacMini Server by SMB2, through ordinary ethernet switch connection. The clients that are directly connected to the SmallTree card are still on Mountain Lion, and therefore use AFP as default connection.

The issues we experience are Finder Windows not showing folder content, and sometimes large file transfers failing if we explore the Server in another Finder window at the same time. I will try to make some tests where we force connect the Mavericks computers by AFP, and see if it makes a difference.

Return to posts index

Morten Ranmar
Re: Mavericks Server AFP vs SMB2 - UPDATE
on Feb 4, 2014 at 10:10:11 pm

There are definitaly problems with SMB2. Windows clients have problems connecting, and sometimes Mavericks clients as well. Solution is to restart the SMB file sharing service once in a while. We usually force connect the Mavericks clients through AFP:// and it seems to help.

Return to posts index

Morten Ranmar
Re: Mavericks Server AFP vs SMB2 - MORE UPDATE
on Apr 2, 2014 at 3:01:33 pm

After updating tp the latest version of Mavericks Server, I have not run into the SMB2 problems again.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]