FORUMS: list search recent posts

best storage drive for unloading finished project files

COW Forums : Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob Lambert
best storage drive for unloading finished project files
on Dec 28, 2013 at 8:47:38 pm

Need to unload some finished projects from my Pegasus drive for upcoming projects. Does anyone have a particular preference for storage? Type of drive? Size of drive? Cost effective drives?

Thanks in advance

Rob Lambert

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: best storage drive for unloading finished project files
on Dec 29, 2013 at 4:46:27 pm

no. They all stink. You can buy any eSATA drive from Toshiba, HGST, Western Digital or Seagate for this - whoever has the best price. When you look at the various brands, like G-Tech, Lacie, OWC, etc. all they are is a metal box that holds one of these drives. You can get a USB/USB3/eSATA toaster and put in a raw drive and do the same thing for backup, and save money. But all drives stink (the HGST Ultrastar drives, and the Western Digital RE series are they best, if there is such a thing), but you can't rely on drives to be reliable. If it's an important copy, make 2 copies. LTO is the only safe archive format, and LTO is a pain in the ass, and slow to work with.

So I only have miserable answers for you.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
maxavid@cfl.rr.com

Return to posts index

Rob Lambert
on Dec 29, 2013 at 8:22:15 pm

Thanks for your post Bob. I hear you, there doesn't seem to be a perfect way to do it. My project files are becoming about 1.5 to 2.5 TB....need to unload it somewhere. Maybe a 5TB WD will do the trick...until the next unload. Ha

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
on Dec 30, 2013 at 2:00:53 am

What about a Drobo 5N or 5D - or some cheap NAS? G-RAID 8TB? CineRAID H458 ($200) filled with 4TB drives in JBOD or RAID5?

Return to posts index

Eric Hansen
on Dec 30, 2013 at 6:56:42 pm

I would get a bunch of cheap bare hard drives and a toaster. then save your projects on those drives following the 3-2-1 Rule:

3 copies
2 different types of media
1 offsite

as Bob said, hard drives are junk and fail. You can only protect yourself by having multiple copies. I recommend LTO, but the cost of entry is high (but if you're archiving more than 20TB a year, it's the cheapest by far). also, don't buy enterprise hard drives (like Ultrastars) for this use. waste of money IMHO for drives that will sit on a shelf.

Alex has some good suggestions, but the same rule applies - have multiple copies and keep at least one copy off-site. I don't go the NAS (Drobo) route because I don't need to keep completed projects at near line

i use NeoFinder to catalog and search my archive hard drives and LTO tapes.

e

Eric Hansen
Production Workflow Designer / Consultant / Colorist / DIT
http://www.erichansen.tv

Return to posts index

Morten Ranmar
on Jan 1, 2014 at 6:05:55 pm

We recently purchased an LTO bundle from BRU, and I must say their Producers Edition software makes it easy to administer backups. One LTO5 tape will hold 1.5 TB raw data.

- No Parking Production -

2 x Finalcut Studio3, 2 x Prod. bundle CS6, 2 x MacPro, 2 x ioHD, Ethernet File Server w. X-Raid.... and FCPX on trial

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: best storage drive for unloading/ NeoFinder
on Jan 30, 2014 at 8:49:15 pm

Eric Hanson -
you are the FIRST person on Creative Cow to mention NeoFinder -
someone at Disney just showed this to me for the first time.
Seems like a GREAT program - cheap asset management, that is easy, and only 40 bucks !

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
maxavid@cfl.rr.com

Return to posts index

Eric Hansen
Re: best storage drive for unloading/ NeoFinder
on Feb 3, 2014 at 4:47:13 pm

And it's designed for networked systems with a centralized database. It's pretty slick and was an easy purchase decision for Brain Farm's existing 400TB LTO library. It can be crashy though, so you have to be patient at times.

e

Eric Hansen
Production Workflow Designer / Consultant / Colorist / DIT
http://www.erichansen.tv

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]