FORUMS: list search recent posts

Server RAID connected to a Router?

COW Forums : Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Otero
Server RAID connected to a Router?
on Dec 27, 2013 at 7:15:14 pm

Hey all was wondering if someone could recommend a good site to explain how to connect a Server Rack RAID to a Router so the office can access over Ethernet directly. Thanks

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
Re: Server RAID connected to a Router?
on Dec 27, 2013 at 10:28:04 pm

No way to connect it directly, and there is no single site or page describing the procedure.

The closest perhaps is a DIY NAS - plenty of info out there.

What you're looking is one of the three: bare bones (no storage) file sharing server, NAS or SAN, either of which must be compatible with that RAID you're speaking of.

I'd have said, "hire a consultant" - that would get you what you need the fastest way at the lowest cost (with the right consultant) - yet consultants are a dying breed as are people willing to hire them.

-- Alex Gerulaitis | Systems Engineer | DV411 - Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Server RAID connected to a Router?
on Dec 28, 2013 at 1:33:26 am

I am not sure what "Server Rack RAID" means. This is either a server computer with a RAID drive hooked up to the server, or a self contained NAS (network attached storage) box that has the server and drives self contained in one box (perhaps in a RACK). So I am not sure of exactly what you are referring to.

But either way, this hooks up to your Ethernet SWITCH in your office, not your router. Your cable internet connection hooks up to your router. This is how you get your internet connection. The router output goes into your Ethernet switch in your office, so that all the office computers can get internet access. If you plug in a NAS or server with a RAID to the switch, and assign the server or NAS to DHCP, it will pick up an address from the router, and everyone can connect to it. Or you can manually enter a static IP address on your NAS or server (connected to your RAID array) and everyone can type in the manual IP address to connect to the server.

NOW, if you say "what the hell are you talking about, and what is all this mumbo jumbo techno babble that you are spewing out - can't you just tell me in plain English, what I have to plug in to get this to work" - then you should (as Alex suggests) hire a contractor - it can be the guy that put in your office network - and he will get all of this setup for you, and working - AND he will explain what he is doing, so you can understand this in the future, when you have to do it again.

With that said - if this "Server Rack RAID" is for VIDEO FILES, your conventional 1gig office network will NOT be fast enough for everyone to play back these video files. Then you will need to spend money to buy a preconfigured shared storage solution.

People who have previously said "oh, this is such BU@#$H#T, I can just go out and buy a Drobo for $1500, and do all of this myself, and I don't need to hear any of this crap from guys that just want me to give them money" - well, if you do this, you will fail.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
maxavid@cfl.rr.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]