FORUMS: list search recent posts

Suggestions for RAID

COW Forums : Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Windsor
Suggestions for RAID
on Dec 19, 2013 at 11:26:54 pm

I just purchased a new Mac Pro and I need to buy a RAID for it. I have never used a RAID before and all the choices are driving me nuts. I work mainly in After Effects and Cinema 4D, I also use FCP and Premiere for editing. I will not be doing any 4K content. I would like it to be Thunderbolt obviously. I am currently torn between a Pegasus2 ($1,400) or a GDRIVE 8TB external drive. Does anyone have any suggestions based on experience? Obviously either one will be faster then my current drives in my 2009 Mac Pro, but when it comes to spending this kind of money I just want to be sure.

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
Re: Suggestions for RAID
on Dec 20, 2013 at 2:25:44 am
Last Edited By Alex Gerulaitis on Dec 20, 2013 at 9:36:33 pm

[Richard Windsor] "I just purchased a new Mac Pro and I need to buy a RAID for it."

What is the reason you're getting a RAID and not just an external TB drive? Capacity? Speed? Redundancy?

[Richard Windsor] "I am currently torn between a Pegasus2 ($1,400) or a GDRIVE 8TB external drive. Does anyone have any suggestions based on experience?"

If you're looking for a 2-drive RAID, G-RAID is the main choice.

If you *may* be looking for future expansion, another option is to get a 4-bay CineRAID ARC-5026 ($900 with no drives) with just two drives, add more in the future.

-- Alex Gerulaitis | Systems Engineer | DV411 - Los Angeles, CA

(edited to correct errors)

Return to posts index

Richard Windsor
on Dec 20, 2013 at 5:06:30 pm

[Alex Gerulaitis] "CineRAID ARC-5026"

I am looking for something that is a nice combination of all those things but speed is very important. Like I said though I am never gonna be doing 4K work or any thing that demanding. I am mainly working in After Effects and Cinema 4D. I just need a drive with at least 8TB of storage that is fast enough to handle those programs with ease. I already own a large drive that I use for backup and I will transfer that to my new system so data protection is not as huge an issue.

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
on Dec 20, 2013 at 9:39:24 pm

[Richard Windsor] "I am looking for something that is a nice combination of all those things but speed is very important."

Pegasus2 R4 then: faster, supports advanced RAID levels, supports TB2.

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
on Dec 20, 2013 at 10:16:17 pm
Last Edited By Alex Gerulaitis on Dec 20, 2013 at 10:23:50 pm

[Alex Gerulaitis] "Pegasus2 R4 then: faster, supports advanced RAID levels, supports TB2."

The only thing about it (now that I read some reviews): it's relatively slow - under 400MB/s reads, and probably under 300MB/s writes in RAID5. (I didn't see Pegasus2 R4 benchmarks but extrapolated from P2-R8 rather disappointing numbers of under 400MB/s, and P-R4 numbers.)

According to CineRAID, their ARC-5026 is faster: 600MB/s writes and 450MB/s reads. (The write speeds seem to be affected by caching however: RAID5 writes are usually slower than reads unless cached.)

ARC-5026 is TB (not TB2) - shouldn't matter though as it doesn't saturate the TB channel; it also supports USB 3.0, unlike Pegasus.

Pegasus got the looks though. :)

-- Alex Gerulaitis | Systems Engineer | DV411 - Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
on Dec 20, 2013 at 11:32:16 pm

Never mind that - CNet review is bad, bad, bad. They don't know what they're doing. Pegasus is likely as fast as CineRAID.

You can also get the R4 even cheaper (or better): get it diskless for $700; 2TB WD Blacks or Se drives are around $150 ea; total - $1.3K. With WD Se drives, there's also the benefit of "enterprise class": allegedly better reliability vs. "consumer" drives used in G-RAID and Pegasus R4.

Hope this helps...

Return to posts index

Richard Windsor
on Dec 21, 2013 at 6:41:43 am

Thanks for the help, but I have one more quick question. Looking at the Pegasus website the compatibility list for the drives seems weak. http://www.promise.com/media_bank/Download%20Bank/Compatibility/Pegasus2_Co...

I would like to start of with two WD enterprise class drives at 4TB a piece, will those work ok or is this list just a recommendation on this list?

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
on Dec 21, 2013 at 8:38:55 pm

[Richard Windsor] "I would like to start of with two WD enterprise class drives at 4TB a piece, will those work ok or is this list just a recommendation on this list?"

Nobody can guarantee anything until they either tested it, or bought an umbrella insurance policy, but it's 99.99999% they'll work. The list has decidedly consumer drives (e.g. ST4000DM000) on it - enterprise class drives should work.

Return to posts index

Richard Windsor
on Dec 23, 2013 at 4:53:40 pm

One last question. If I but a Pegasus2 R4 and I put in two 4TB drives, when time comes I need more space can I just slip in another 4TB drive under RAID 0 and keep going or do the drives need to rebuild because of the way data is written?

Return to posts index

Alex Gerulaitis
on Dec 23, 2013 at 7:13:47 pm

Adding drives to an existing RAID0? Rebuild, most likely - but I'd consult Promise to be sure.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]