FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sharing an external drive with another machine?

COW Forums : Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Josh Smith
Sharing an external drive with another machine?
on Jul 4, 2013 at 2:22:02 pm

Hi there,

We have two iMacs in our office, and they are currently hooked up via an ethernet cable.

We have just purchased an 8TB external drive (G-Technology G-RAID) that is connected to one of the iMacs via FireWire.

How can I set up the permissions so that the second iMac can read and write files onto the drive that is connected to the first iMac, using the ethernet connection that we already have established?

Any help is appreciated!

Many thanks,

Josh.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Sharing an external drive with another machine?
on Jul 4, 2013 at 4:01:34 pm

Hi Josh -
if I tell you, what do I get ? I like cookies and doughnuts.

click on System Preferences> Sharing on your computer with the G-Tech 8TB, and check FILE SHARING.
Three columns will appear. In the first column, hit the + sign, and select your G-Tech 8TB. In the second column (users) click +, and select NEW PERSON, and enter the name and password of the OTHER computer (the one that wants to share). Select it, and assign READ AND WRITE permissions in the 3rd column.

Select System Preferences> Network, and jot down the IPv4 address of this Mac.

Close all this.
Go to the other computer, and click on GO> Connect To Server, and enter the IP address that you just jotted down. Click on Connect. It will ask you for the name and password you just entered into the other computer. That's it - your drive is now available on this computer. If you don't see your drive on the desktop, click on Finder> Preferences, and check "connected servers".

Just remember, you CANNOT play HD video from both computers at the same time from this drive. This is a little "cheat" to get this to work - it's not shared storage. If you try to do full work (like a real shared storage system) you will crash your computers.

bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
maxavid@cfl.rr.com

Return to posts index

Josh Smith
Re: Sharing an external drive with another machine?
on Jul 4, 2013 at 4:45:01 pm

Hi Bob,

You are an absolute hero. Thank you so, so much! This has worked perfectly.

I'm sure you'll be rewarded with endless cookies and doughnuts in heaven. But in the meantime, if I ever meet you, I'll be sure to buy you plenty!

Thanks again.

All the best,

Josh,

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]