FORUMS: list search recent posts

Good internal hard drive for video editing

COW Forums : Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Rode
Good internal hard drive for video editing
on Oct 28, 2013 at 3:09:23 am

Hi everyone, I've just joined the forums!

I am looking to get a new internal hard drive for my desktop and I am curious, what is a good hard drive for video editing?
I was looking into SSDs (since they are the fastest that I am aware of) but they are out of my price range for one with sufficient storage and they wear faster than traditional HDDs. I am looking for one that is 1TB or more. Other than that (and the price), I don't really have any other specifications that I need that I can think of (except I need it to be SATA).

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Good internal hard drive for video editing
on Oct 29, 2013 at 12:47:56 am

there are no reliable SATA drives. They all fail. I use HGST Ultrastar's, which are the most expensive drives, and they still fail. Western Digital, Seagate, HGST, Toshiba - they all suck.
Buy anything you want - anything that's on sale, and BACKUP YOUR DATA. If someone tells you "oh, buy this one, it's really good and really reliable" - they have no idea of what they are talking about. You must backup your data, to avoid getting screwed.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
maxavid@cfl.rr.com

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Oct 29, 2013 at 4:28:29 am

Hi Daniel,

Is this new drive going to be for your OS and Apps "System Drive"

or

For your video files etc. "Media Drive"?

And what is the computer it is going into? For example- 2008 Mac Pro 3,1 2.8Ghz dual quad core, or, 2011 MBP 6,1 2.66Ghz dual core (my systems).

Of course there is no arguing with Bobs points. Hard drives fail and you must have backups. In fact I was just discussing with my father how inexpensive drives are and that if any of our backup methods saved us from losing one or two average undelivered clients media files, the backup system pays for itself in cash instantly, then it buys me a new one in the future. A pretty sweet deal, viewed in that light. And a lot of the time there are more than two clients media files "at risk". Yeah, do backups.

Anyway,

If this is for your system drive, I'd say get a relatively small SSD. I've been getting by fine with 128GB SSD system drives on both my Macs for a while now. Happily using Crucial and Samsung SSDs with OWC mounts (also an Opti-bay in the MBP).

For media drives, I've had very little trouble with Western Digital Black, both 3.5" and 2.5" drives ("Caviar" & "Scorpio" were recently removed from WDs naming convention). For this reason I've barely even touched any other brand (to Bobs comment, don't let me come across as "buy WD, they are more reliable"). I've just had a pretty good run. With that said, since 2008-2009 I have not kept any hard drive in main production use for more than one year. Media drives (3 disk RAID-0 internal in Mac Pro) are replaced and the old ones are put into other use as extra backup (besides the Time Machine array) or some other use like "sneaker net" file transfers. Same with system drives except those get cycled a few times before being demoted (haven't demoted an SSD yet), each functioning as a backup of the current system while the other gets a clean install. My logic here is that before any drive comes anywhere near MTBF, it is demoted to non-mission-critical use. Also, I get to have tons of extra drives to use individually or RAID together in inexpensive external enclosures and use for, whatever. Not spending more money on enterprise drives and keeping them in use for years on end, means a lower cost at time of purchase (though a higher total cost) also the higher turnover rate lets me keep up with storage density a little bit better and my total in-house TBs of storage increases in a seemingly perfect ratio.

Currently, two out of three 2TB WD Blacks from a previous RAID-0 Media Drive (two rounds ago), are acting up. When they were removed from the Mac Pro all three were formatted, labeled and put into individual external enclosures. Disk Warrior saved everything from one that wouldn't read or write at all otherwise. The other is beginning to have some trouble. Both of those are now out of "The Loop". Eventually I will "harvest" the magnets from them, for fun. The third of that group seems fine, but I just now ordered a 3TB WD Black from B&H to take its place, as a dedicated "Original Camera Cards Backup" storage drive, because the mere thought of that drive being in use churns my stomach.

If you don't already use two separate drives for the Operating System and your Media, you should. In that case I'd say get both, a small SSD for system drive and HDD for media. If there's no room for a second internal, get an external for the media drive. No USB 2.0, minimum FW800. Of course 7200rpm minimum as well.

Here's a link to the WD product list, where I go to look for a bare drive model number then copy/paste to google for the best price- http://wdc.com/en/products/catalog/

I'm currently in the process of archiving old projects, consolidating backups and moving hard drives "down the line". So, waiting for file transfers and encodes gives lots of time to type... : )

Return to posts index

Daniel Rode
on Oct 30, 2013 at 7:07:47 pm

Thanks for the input! Yes, of course, backups are insurance ;).

I actually just put an SSD in my desktop and have been working on reinstalling Windows on it. Now I have my old drive for my personal files and I just need one more so I have room to work without the fs fragmenting.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]