FORUMS: list search recent posts

Apple Xraid replacement

COW Forums : Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Seliski
Apple Xraid replacement
on Oct 22, 2013 at 4:24:32 am

Wow - I can't believe it - the old Xraid has been chugging along for 9 years! Yes - I have replaced a bunch of drives (reg Hitachis work fine - no Apple drives) - a controller board and even added another used XRaid and both are still going - However it is time to move on. What would be a good replacement - don't need fibre channel any more - can be thunderbolt - 12- 16 TB - light usage For HD video editing

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Apple Xraid replacement
on Oct 22, 2013 at 7:56:21 pm

you will have lots of companies respond to you here, and on the SAN networks forum. My system is Final Share, by Maxx Digital. It is nothing more than a Mac Pro server with 10Gig Ethernet cards and 10Gig Ethernet switch, which is faster than your 4G fibre system.
It just uses regular CAT 6 cables, and there is no metadata server - it's all file sharing, and it's all very easy. It works with FCP 7, FCP X, and Adobe Premiere (and all the Adobe stuff).

But there are LOTS of great shared storage systems out today, that are a lot less complex than your XSAN system. In addition to Final Share, there is -
Studio Network Solutions
Tiger Technologies
Facilis Terrablock
Apace Systems
EditShare
AVID ISIS 5000
GB Labs Space
NetApp
Small Tree
ProMax Platform
and lots of others, that you can easily find discussed on the SAN Networks forum.

The only thing that will NEVER work as a shared storage system for you is a Drobo, which was never designed to be a shared storage system, but lots of people try it, because it's cheap.

All the brands I mentioned work very well. It's a matter of how much you want to spend, and the complexity of the system.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
maxavid@cfl.rr.com

Return to posts index

Joe Seliski
on Oct 22, 2013 at 9:06:56 pm

Thanks much Bob

Yes - I should clarify - this no longer needs any sharing - it will be one seat working with FCP7 and X.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Oct 22, 2013 at 10:29:45 pm

then all you need is storage. There are countless companies that make stand alone fast storage. Everyone except Lacie is good !

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
maxavid@cfl.rr.com

Return to posts index

David Gagne
on Dec 19, 2013 at 5:36:02 pm

Kind of curious about the bad experiences with LaCie, but on the other hand it's Bob so I'll just take his word for it :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]