FORUMS: list search recent posts

cost effective NAS or SAN Solution for videotranscoding

COW Forums : Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Heiko Lentz
cost effective NAS or SAN Solution for videotranscoding
on Oct 14, 2013 at 9:19:43 am

Hi all,

I´m looking for a Shared Storage Solution for my videotranscoding environment.
Multiple Clients (up to ) should have access to the Storage.
In my planing approx. 10 clients have to access videofiles (up to 100gbyte per file) just for transcoding.
It´s a mix of Windows, Linux.
nearly 5 Clients need access to the storage for filepreparation, editing and Quality Check.

Beside from the fact that i need a fast storage the question is which data-connection is the best one, FC, PCI Express or 10 GBE ? Does it has to be a SAN with a MDC or could a performant NAS with 10 GBE Connection also do the job ?

i would like to ponder or compare solutions like T-BOX from Tiger-Tech or QNAP NAS Products.
Where is a good trade of between Price and performance ?

i´m happy about some ideas

heiko

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: cost effective NAS or SAN Solution for videotranscoding
on Oct 14, 2013 at 10:16:16 pm

Hi -
I assume that you are in Europe, is that correct.
The Tbox from Tiger Technology will blow the doors off of a QNAP or Synology NAS, but of course it is more money. In Europe GBLabs SPACE is also popular. Of course, all the usual US manfacturers that I discuss on the SAN networks forum will work fine for you as well.

Remember - support is everything. You should state what country you are from.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
maxavid@cfl.rr.com

Return to posts index

Heiko Lentz
on Oct 15, 2013 at 9:37:39 am

Hi,

thanks for the quick response. You´re right i´m from Europe/Germany.
Support is a important note.
Besides from the right vendor, the technology approach is important for me.
As far as i know, a disatvantage of NAS Technology is the MDC overhead which has to be done by the NAS and may overload the Network. But i think this problem is with performant NAS Servers and a strong 10 GBE Network not existing anymore.
Still an important ratio shoul be the max througput and the amount of IOPS of the Storage.
I don´t really need a physical connection to the Storage on my clients like it is provided from a SAN solution.
Is there another significant difference between SAN and NAS i´ve overseen ?

best

Return to posts index

Eric Newbauer
on Oct 15, 2013 at 5:25:48 pm

Hi Heiko,

An MDC (metadata controller) is typically only of concern in a shared/clustered file system SAN environment. Since you're needing Linux systems to participate, if you go with a SAN you will need to use a shared filesystem that also has a Linux client. Alternatively, if you use NAS, Linux clients are easier to deal with since they'll have built-in support for your various NAS protocols.

These days, the choice of whether to use SAN or NAS isn't nearly as important as which SAN and/or NAS you buy and who installs/supports it. You can get Fibre Channel performance (or better) from 10GbE as long as everything is setup correctly.

We have a distributor in Europe and would love to have a call with you.

Eric Newbauer
Studio Network Solutions (SNS)
EVO – Shared Storage Systems for Video Editors

Return to posts index

Heiko Lentz
on Oct 16, 2013 at 9:36:52 am

some more questions :

is the throughput limited by the network controller 10 GBE or by the Raid Controller of the storage ?
Can i gain the throuput by either adding a second 10 GBE connection or another Raid controller ?
Most of the NAS Drives provide AFP, Samba and NFS. What about access by http ? i prefer for my Encoding solution access via http get.

thanks
heiko

Return to posts index

Eric Newbauer
on Oct 16, 2013 at 2:27:04 pm

[Heiko Lentz] "is the throughput limited by the network controller 10 GBE or by the Raid Controller of the storage ?
"

Assuming all components are spec'ed properly and working correctly, the Ethernet controller will definitely be the limiting factor of those two pieces of hardware.

[Heiko Lentz] "Can i gain the throuput by either adding a second 10 GBE connection or another Raid controller ?
"

Probably. Assuming your system can offer more throughput than a single 10GbE connection, then adding another 10GbE connection could help. If the limitation looks like it's in your RAID controller, it could be that adding another RAID controller could help. Or it could make things worse! In that case it could just be that you need to add more drives, or better drives, or maybe it's just one drive timing out and throwing things off, or a bad backplane, or it could be that you need to upgrade the RAID controller's driver (or downgrade it), or move it to the proper slot, or, no, wait, maybe there's something intermittent with the PCIe bus, or... ;-)

[Heiko Lentz] "Most of the NAS Drives provide AFP, Samba and NFS. What about access by http ? i prefer for my Encoding solution access via http get.
"

Most NAS systems you see around the Cow will provide AFP, SMB, and/or NFS. But getting access to the file system's contents via http is a little atypical, though not impossible. We'd need to know more about how you're wanting to use http to provide more concrete info.

Eric Newbauer
Studio Network Solutions (SNS)
EVO – Shared Storage Systems for Video Editors

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Oct 17, 2013 at 9:26:27 pm

Tiger Technology is based out of Roumania. I am sure they can help you. The TBox is Windows based, so it would be a good solution for you.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
maxavid@cfl.rr.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]