FORUMS: list search recent posts

Caldigit T4 vs OWC Thunderbay vs Promise Pegasus r4 vs Qnap!

COW Forums : Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Price
Caldigit T4 vs OWC Thunderbay vs Promise Pegasus r4 vs Qnap!
on Jan 6, 2019 at 4:23:36 pm

Hey all,

I'm in the process of consolidating my storage. I currently have aged G-RAIDS, and want to upgrade. I'm currently running an iMac Pro, and will be editing 4K footage mainly from Canon, Sony and Fujifilm cameras. All compressed 4K formats. I may occasionally get a color session in with Red or Alexa footage but not very often.

I've been looking at the following options...

1. Caldigit T4 Thunderbolt 3 RAID Array
2. OWC Thunderbay 4 Thunderbolt 3 RAID Array
3. Pegasus Promise R3 4-bay RAID Array
4. Qnap tvs-472xt 4-Bay Thunderbolt 3 and 10gigE NAS

I need about 16TB use-able and I want to run in RAID 5. I also want the chassis to be as quiet as possible, as it's in a bedroom office. These options vary in pricing, and are in order by price. I'm leaning heavily towards the CalDigit T4 because it's currently at $1199 for 24TB, which would give me roughly 18TB use-able, at a very nice price, and I hear they are a quality product. Others start going up in price about $200 or so each model, give or take. Qnap being the most expensive based on my storage and RAID configuration needs.
This storage will mainly be attached to my iMac Pro and will not need to be shared to any other machines.

Would greatly appreciate some feedback and reviews on which one YOU prefer and if you have experienced any bad performance or reliability on these specific options OR if you have any other suggestions!

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Caldigit T4 vs OWC Thunderbay vs Promise Pegasus r4 vs Qnap!
on Jan 6, 2019 at 4:32:29 pm

All that matters is the price.
Cal Digit, OWC, and Promise (and G-Tech and Glyph) all make metal boxes and put either Seagate or Toshiba or Western Digital drives in them. The Cal Digit and Promise and G-Tech will come preformatted, so you just plug in your thunderbolt cable, and it will mount on your desktop. The OWC will come empty, and you will have to put in drives and follow their instructions to format the drives in a RAID configuration. They all work, they are all good companies.

The QNAP is not a RAID array - it's a shared storage system, that is designed for network use with multiple computers. It comes with no drives, and it is not plug and play. If you have 2 or more editors, this is the only choice you have from your list, but for a single editor, you have to be crazy to buy a QNAP, because it requires a setup, which can be confusing and frustrating to you, if you are not familiar with it or don't want to pay someone to assist you with the setup. You have already picked the Cal Digit. They are an excellent company, that makes reliable storage products. If you are a single user, you should stick with this. But like I said -if others react and say "no, brand XYZ is better" - all these brands work perfectly fine.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]