FORUMS: list search recent posts

If I buy this drive will I be able to use it to edit 4K or will it be awful?

COW Forums : Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adrian Begon
If I buy this drive will I be able to use it to edit 4K or will it be awful?
on Nov 17, 2018 at 5:26:19 pm

Hi there

a colleague is convinced that I could buy this drive and that it would be great to use to to edit 4K footage.

The drive is:

a WD WDBFBE0200JBK-EESN My Book Duo Desktop RAID USB 3.1 External Hard Drive and Auto Backup Software - 20TB

other spec details are:
RAID optimised WD Red drives
USB 3.1 Gen 1-ready, USB 3.0 compatibility
2x USB 3.0 hub ports

I think that it will perform poorly at best and trying to drag through clips on Premiere will be sticky as hell. Am I right or completely mistaken?

BTW I would use it in raid 0 - which I know might freak some people out but our workflow means we have rushes backed up in many other places and I would always autosave my project and any other project specific elements to another location.

Any well informed advice from members who are technically way more savvy than me - greatly appreciated!

Ade

Return to posts index

Steve Grappone
Re: If I buy this drive will I be able to use it to edit 4K or will it be awful?
on Nov 17, 2018 at 6:25:28 pm

It really depends on the 4K you want to work with. 4K prores maybe, I think the bit rate is around 250MB/sec. If you wanted to do 4K openEXR probably not. Two reasons here 1. Bitrate is around 1,500MB/sec and you’re asking a spinning drive to get 24 or more files a second.

I know Local Hero Post in LA has a openEXR workflow and they rent a creative.space system so they can get the speed and IOPS for a 4K workflow.

Other concerns could be wanting to add more space, others be able to connect, and data integrity.

Return to posts index

Adrian Begon
Re: If I buy this drive will I be able to use it to edit 4K or will it be awful?
on Nov 19, 2018 at 10:46:26 am

Hi Steve

many thanks for this information

I can now go to the camera op supplying me the files and investigate further with him based on this advice

Much appreciated

Best

Ade

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Nov 18, 2018 at 5:20:51 pm

https://www.wd.com/en-gb/products/external-storage/my-book-duo.html

this is the product - correct ?
It clearly states in this spec sheet that you will get 360 MB/sec performance.
It also clearly states that it comes pre formatted for Windows, not Mac (HFS+, APFS, or ExFat)
"Formatted NTFS for out-of-the-box compatibility with Windows® 10, Windows 8.1/8.0 or Windows 7. Requires reformatting for other operating systems."

You did not say what codec you are using for 4K. You could have the worlds fastest RAID array - cost no object.
Premiere is not going to playback GoPro 4K or DJI Drone 4K and not be "sticky". You have to transcode.

As per AJA Data Calc - ProRes 29.97 4K-2160 is 88.06 MB/sec. ProRes 4K Ultra HD is 82.56 MB/sec.
There are millions of variations of 4K - based on the camera compression codec, and your frame rate.
It's not just "4K". It's like saying "look - I just want to paint the door on the outside of my house" - and then you go to the paint store, and there are millions of selections with different types of paint. Nothing is easy - that's why people pay you to do this.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Adrian Begon
on Nov 19, 2018 at 1:25:27 pm

Hi Bob

many thanks for this information

I can now go to the camera op supplying me the files and investigate further with him based on this advice.

Just like to add that I appreciate that a man like yourself is clearly totally on top of his technical details and at times, some questions must seem hopelessly inept and it probably gets a bit frustrating to see a question like this appear in front of you. But, just to throw you a little mitigating thought from my end you should know that sometimes for all of us, life goes into full on 'balls to the wall' mode - juggling edits, campaigns, and other creative for 3 or 4 clients all at the same time who all want it yesterday - and sometimes your head is so fried you just need to throw out a quick question in the hope of a quick answer from a friendly compadre.

I know it happens to me all the time and when it does I try not to insinuate that the person I'm dealing with is a complete schmuck because for all I know they might also be smokin' hot at something that I might need an answer about at some time in my life.

Once again greatly appreciated tech advice - I can solve it from here mate

Ade

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]