FORUMS: list search recent posts

Editing on PC with Mac Formatted Drives

COW Forums : Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Miguel Zamora
Editing on PC with Mac Formatted Drives
on Nov 14, 2018 at 4:45:02 pm

Hello All,

I finished production with a client, and the DIT had formatted the media drives for Mac (Journaled). The client has a PC (I don't know the specs), and wants to try to avoid buying a mac to edit his project. These are the three options that I was thinking of giving him:

1) Purchase MacDrive to access the drives. (Can the client safely read and write on the drives using this program? Will Premiere Pro work safely with this program?)
2) Set up an NAS. (Any recommendations would be highly appreciated.)
3) Buy a mac.

Thank you for your help CC people!

- Miguel

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Editing on PC with Mac Formatted Drives
on Nov 14, 2018 at 8:31:52 pm

Hi Miguel -
it costs money to be in business. Let's say you wanted to be an Uber driver or a Lift driver. You must purchase a car.
Let's say you wanted to be a house painter. You cannot take the bus to get to your painting jobs - you must purchase a van, and all of your painting equipment, and probably get insurance, to prove to your customers that if you accidentally spill paint on their beautiful carpet, you are insured.

That is called BEING IN BUSINESS.

If you are a professional, you invest in your company. If you have no money, you get a loan from a bank , or finance company to purchase the equipment you need to run your business. If you have no collateral, and simply just cannot get the money to get what you need to do this job - then your only alternative is to GET A JOB, save up money and buy the equipment.

If you are a professional editor, and you are doing this for a living, you need to invest in yourself.
So
1) yes, you need to purchase a Mac. One that is powerful enough to run Adobe CC
2) yes, you need to purchase software. CC is $49 a month. You can't steal it. If you want free software, use Davinci Resolve
3) to purchase a NAS, you can get a QNAP or a Synology, but these must be eight drive systems, with eight matching drives. And you should have the 10G option, and a thunderbolt to 10G for your Mac.

Film maker Robert Rodriguez (one of my hero's) sold his BLOOD to help get money together to shoot his first
feature
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001675/

You cannot be in business without risk, or without investment.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Miguel Zamora
on Nov 14, 2018 at 8:54:57 pm

Great lecture, Bob, but to be clear I am not the one editing this. The client is. I OWN a mac and I OWN a subscription to Adobe Premiere so I am very aware of their respective costs. The client wants to edit the project himself, and will be purchasing, not stealing, Premiere to cut it.

Thank you for the notes on NAS, that's good to know.

Do you know if the program MacDrive (https://www.mediafour.com/software/macdrive/) is safe to use when editing on a PC to mac drives?

Thank you from a fellow risk taker.

- Miguel

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Nov 14, 2018 at 11:53:07 pm

yes, Mac Drive is safe to use.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Melvin Chong
on Nov 16, 2018 at 10:23:22 am

A $30 solution to your problem.

https://www.paragon-software.com/home/hfs-windows/

Probably won't worked on Mac raid drives.

Return to posts index

Miguel Zamora
on Nov 30, 2018 at 7:51:35 pm

Client decided to buy an iMac and bring me on as Post Supervisor lol. Funny how some things turn out. Thanks for the tips, all!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]