FORUMS: list search recent posts

iMac Not Connecting To QNAP TVS-1282T

COW Forums : Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Crenshaw
iMac Not Connecting To QNAP TVS-1282T
on Nov 1, 2018 at 8:05:01 pm

27" iMac Retina, High Sierra 10.13.6., 4.2Ghz i7 quad core, 40gig RAM, Radeon Pro 580. Sonnet Solo 10Gbe adapter.

After having such an easy time connecting my PC to our new NAS, I'm pulling my hair out trying to get our iMac connected. The NAS shows up in QFinder, displays the proper static IP on the correct 10Gbe port and I can log in and check config. When I double click on the NAS in QFinder it says the device is unavailable and to check that all devices are on the same Subnet Mask...they are. I have the iMac Thunderbolt port also set to a static IP and it shows to be connected. Same Subnet Mask.

The NAS isn't showing up in Finder and I've tried Connect To Server with SMB, AFP and CIFS to no avail.

It seems to all be there, just no file sharing. No idea what to try next.

Anyone?

Return to posts index

Mark Crenshaw
Re: iMac Not Connecting To QNAP TVS-1282T
on Nov 1, 2018 at 8:49:45 pm

A little more info...

I discovered Network Utility on the Mac.

Thunderbolt Slot 1 shows the QNAP's Aquantia 10Gbe connection is active ans some traffic. But when I ping the QNAP IP, it isn't successful.

As I understand it, the Sonnet Solo is plug/play. Am I missing a step to getting it configured?

Mark

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Nov 1, 2018 at 11:09:11 pm

Hi Mark -
this is an overview.
You can contact me directly if you want this to work.

You should have a DEDICATED NETWORK for your editing configuration. This means that there are TWO networks - one for your 10G network (your QNAP 10G port that goes to a Netgear 10G switch with a static IP, and then all your Mac's and PC's all with their 10G cards or thunderbolt to 10G adaptors that connect to the Netgear 10G switch).

Want internet - run a separate cable and a separate cheap 1G switch. Refuse to do that? Use WiFi.

So - once your computers all have static IP addresses, and it's on the same subnet as your QNAP and your Netgear 10G switch - just PING your switch.
So - if your Mac computer is IPv4 192.168.2.11, and your QNAP 10G port is 192.168.2.3 - simply open terminal
and type in
ping 192.168.2.3
and you will see your terminal report back 64 bytes over and over again

not working ?
then let's say you have set your Netgear switch static IP address to 192.168.2.10
simply type in terminal
ping 192.168.2.10
and you should see 64 bytes over and over again that it's seeing the switch !

There is NO drivers that need to be installed for a Thunderbolt 3 Apple computer and a Sonnet Solo 10G
The drivers are native to the Apple computer. If you plugged in your Solo 10G AFTER you powered up your computer, it will not work. Simply REBOOT your computer, and now (if you have your static IP addresses assigned correctly) it will show up, and it will work.
To verify this - open the Apple Icon> System Report, click on Thunderbolt - - see the Sonnet Solo 10G ? (yes or no) -
so if it's YES -
click on PCI in the System Report and you should see the Aquantia AQC-107 chip listed -that's your Solo 10G
If you go to System Preferences, assign a Static IP (like 192.168.2.11) to the Mac, and your QNAP is at (for example)
192.168.2.3 - then you should be able to click on GO> Connect To Server> smb://192.168.2.3 and it will
connect

no different than you did on your Windows 10 PC, where after you assigned a STATIC IP address for your native 10G NIC card on your Intel motherboard - you click on CMD - open the command window and type in
ping 192.168.2.3 (if that is your QNAP 10G IP address) and you will see it report back 32 bytes 3 times.

If you need help - well, you know how to contact me. If you have all your PC's working with your QNAP, and you can't get your Mac to work - well, it's nothing to do with the QNAP - it's all simple networking. Just ping the static IP address from your Mac to one of the PC's that you have working (provided you have a dedicated 10G switch, and everything is on the same subnet) - and you will see if you have a network issue with your Mac.
Perhaps bad cables !

The Mac with the Sonnet Solo 10G is "plug and play" - but it's not "plug and play" if you plugged in your Solo 10G
AFTER you had your Mac running. REBOOT the Mac.

Contact me if you need help.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Mark Crenshaw
on Nov 1, 2018 at 11:39:22 pm

Thanks Bob. Lots of great info.

I think I’ve figured out the Issue. I’m not using a switch on the 10G connections. Just connecting directly to the QNAP. No money currently in the budget for a switch so it might be better to get the Apple thunderbolt 3 to 2 adapter and connect the Mac that way.

I’ll have a switch at some point in the future but that’s months away.

Mark

Return to posts index

Mark Crenshaw
on Nov 2, 2018 at 2:04:15 pm

Okay, the switch isn't the issue. Should have known better. These QNAP devices are designed for direct connection.

Big shout out to Bob for his rundown of options. It really made me back up and re-examine the hardware side of things and the process of elimination.

I'm happy to report that the QNAP is now connecting and showing read/write speeds of 615MB/s and 700MB/s respectively.

The issue at this point appears to be a conflict with the Gbit LAN connection on the iMac. When it's plugged in, internet but no QNAP. Unplugged, the QNAP works perfectly, but no internet.

I have a little more troubleshooting to do...

Mark

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Nov 2, 2018 at 6:29:22 pm

I am confused Mark.

You need to have Internet on one port of the iMac and your connection to the QNAP on another port on the IMac.
This is very easy to do
1) you can use WiFi
2) you can get a 10G adaptor - where the 10G adaptor goes to the QNAP and the 1G port on the iMac goes to the wired internet.
3) if it's a new iMac Pro with a 10G port, you use that port to go to the QNAP, and you use an Apple or Belkin USB-C to Ethernet adaptor ($29 bucks) to go to your wired internet.

If you have a 10G switch, all your edit computers (including the iMac Pro 10G port) can go into this switch, and then you plug the 10G port on the QNAP TVS-1282T into the 10G switch as well. THIS SWITCH IS NOT FOR WIRED INTERNET. 1G unmanaged switches for wired internet are dirt cheap - you buy a second switch for wired internet (it's under $100 bucks) and now you have TWO NETWORKS - one for your 10G connection to your QNAP, and one for the internet.

This is the way I wire up all shared storage systems - I don't care if it's AVID ISIS, AVID Nexis, Facilis Terrablock, Lumaforge, EditShare, SNS, etc. - you always have TWO networks with a dedicated switch for your 10G connections.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]