FORUMS: list search recent posts

10Gbe NAS Upgrade Completed.

COW Forums : Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Crenshaw
10Gbe NAS Upgrade Completed.
on Oct 31, 2018 at 8:55:27 pm

I have just completed the upgrade of our network storage and I wanted to post my results for purposes of sharing information...something I longed for when researching options for our system.

I went with a QNAP TVS-1282T with 8-Seagate Ironwolf 8TB, 7200 rpm NAS drives, and 4-Samsung 1TB SSDs. The Seagates are striped in RAID 5 and the SSDs are in RAID 0. The SSDs are set up as cache for the main RAID so I'm not concerned about data loss. I also added an Intel i9 12 core PC that is 10Gbe ready. For the time being the NAS is set up locally on a short Cat6 run but will eventually be located in our new 10Gbe head end and connected with fiber.

I ran Black Magic Disk Speed Test on the PC and I was stunned at the results. First pass gets up there and successive passes jump even higher. I think because of the SSD caching. Top end, I get over 1000MB/s! Just blistering fast.

I hope this helps some one searching for a solution.

Mark

Return to posts index

Steve Grappone
Re: 10Gbe NAS Upgrade Completed.
on Oct 31, 2018 at 9:22:48 pm

Very Nice Mark.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Nov 1, 2018 at 1:20:58 pm

Its just amazing that when you buy the CORRECT equipment, and the CORRECT number of drives, you get great results.

SO - for those wondering about the cost of Mark's QNAP TVS-1282T system (which he did himself - I had nothing to do with it) -

The QNAP TVS-1282T is about $3031 with 16 Gig of RAM
the Seagate Ironwolf 8 TB drives are $249 each - so it's $1992 for eight drives
The Samsung EVO 860 SSD drives are $165 each - so it's $660
So his system cost him a total of $5683
not bad for a SHARE STORAGE SYSTEM that can deliver 1000 MB/sec to the client with 56 TB of usable storage after RAID 5.

All he needs is a little 10G switch (the little QNAP 8 port is $573) and he can have 7 clients all share that QNAP storage array, all doing 4K editing.

His Win PC had a native 10G ethernet port, but even if it did not, he could have purchased a PCIe 10G NIC card from QNAP, Sonnet or ASUS for about $100 bucks, and got those speeds from a Win PC that did not have a 10G port.

It's amazing how inexpensive things have become for incredible performance.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Mark Crenshaw
on Nov 1, 2018 at 2:24:59 pm

Thanks Bob. I actually thought about bringing you in on this but it was pretty straight forward for our application...one storage pool with caching.

I went with the 32gig version so it was $3225 for the QNAP. The rest you outlined is spot on. We were previously using a Synology Gbit NAS with a 2Gbit port bond for raw storage, using proxies on local drives and then re-linking to hi res at output. Still not a bad workflow but we have all sorts of options now depending on project timelines.

Our new head end will be fully 10Gbe and the QNAP will live there about 150' from the edit rooms. It's a requirement for several clients that all data pertaining to them that it be centralized, on AC backup and physically secure. I plan to add a switch on the edit room side and run 2 Cat6a home runs in a 20Gbe LAG from the main switch. Another possibility is a fiber run since the main switch has an open QSFP port that we can adapt. This would give us upward of 40Gbe in that pipeline. Either way, I like the switch on my end because as Bob mentioned. it gives us more user capacity.

Mark

Return to posts index

Mark Crenshaw
on Nov 2, 2018 at 2:10:42 pm

I've also added a new 27" iMac QC connected with a Sonnet Solo. It was a bit more challenging to set up than the PC but I finally got it connected and tested.

I'll post system performance updates when we get the new head end set up in a few months.

Mark

Return to posts index

Mark Crenshaw
on Nov 2, 2018 at 3:28:06 pm

The above iMac results were connecting with SMB. This screenshot is connecting with AFP. Much better read performance!

Mark

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]