FORUMS: list search recent posts

M.2 NVMe as OS drive. Two thumbs up.

COW Forums : Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Evan Newsome
M.2 NVMe as OS drive. Two thumbs up.
on Sep 28, 2018 at 9:15:39 pm

I haven't been on here for ages. I was searching for test results on NVMe storage drives in editing and found nothing. I was wondered if it was better as an OS drive or media drive. In the end I pulled the trigger - I bought one Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB ($140) on sale from Newegg. I installed it as my C drive. I noticed right away, when scrubbing the timeline with my keyboard, it was very smooth and responsive. When I hit the key(s) the program was more responsive. Previous drive (Samsung 850 500GB SATA) the program would hang a little when scrubbing with keyboard or mouse.

Tech stuff for the computer people that are wondering: (built 2 years ago)
X99 Mobo w/ 32GB of RAM and I forget which CPU I have.
Windows 10 with CS 5.5 -(yeah yeah I know it's old -- I own it and not going to pay monthly.)

Prior Storage setup: 500GB SATA SSD for OS, 500GB SATA SSD for media cache files. 1GB SATA SSD for media clips and export/render directory. Plus 2GB HDD 7200 RPM for archive storage. (I Stopped using a DAS years ago since it kept going bad... years later i found the hardware was too stupid to realize one drive was bad/ defective. )

Current setup: 500GB m.2 NVMe SSD for OS, 500GB SATA SSD for media cache files. 1GB SATA SSD for media clips and export/render directory, and 2TB HDD.

Future setup: 500GB m.2 NVMe SSD for OS, 1GB NVMe for media files, media cache and render/export directory. (I want to see if there is any speed increase in rendering/transcoding. I am thinking there maybe no need for a separate scratch drive.

Number one question I was wondering: Will my render times drop? I think the answer right now is: no -- I have not noticed any decrease. Still limited by GPU.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]